Flash new OctoPi from the Raspberry Pi?

What is the problem?

" This version of the Python environment is not supported for direct updates. "

I'm lazy and I don't want to have to tear my printer all apart just to get to the Raspberry Pi inside, yank it out, backup the current OctoPi configuration and then flash a new SD card, and wrestle with cramming it all back inside the printer, re-leveling the bed, etc.

What did you already try to solve it?
Ignore the problem - that didn't help...

Logs (octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support!)
I've been beating myself over the head with a Log, does that count?

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible)

• Python: 2.7.9 (you have: 2.7.9)
  • pip: 9.0.3 (you have: 18.0)
  • setuptools: 39.0.1 (you have: 5.5.1)

So, along with these message, it says:

This version of the Python environment is not supported for direct updates.

To reduce the likelihood of running into update problems in outdated environments, the following minimal versions are required to use this updater to update OctoPrint or any installed plugins:

So, is there any way to download, and install a new version of OctoPi on the Raspberry Pi FROM the Raspberry Pi (via SSH, like) so that I don't have to curse and scream while tearing my printer apart and putting it all back together again. I'd really like to not have the neighbors call the Cops on me again for disturbing the peace.

Dr. Says I need to reduce my stress levels as well before the veins in my temples explode turning the wall into a Jackson Pollock painting.

Hail Mary

Thanks...

I'm sure there is a way. Unless you're a rocket scientist Linux geek then it's a nightmare.

In theory, it would involve something like...

• Adding a thumbdrive with Raspbian on it so that you could...
  • Boot temporarily to the thumbdrive partition so that you could...
  • Backup the existing ext4 partition to the thumbdrive
  • unmount the existing ext4 partition on the microSD card
  • delete the existing ext4 partition on the microSD card
  • use dd to expand the new ext4 partition from the thumbdrive to the microSD
  • mount it
  • mount the backed up partition
  • overcopy to the new ext4 partition your settings
  • reboot
  • run sudo raspi-config to expand the ext4 partition to fill the microSD space

Still need to crack open the printer case for that.

Had I know way back then, that'd I need to drop the engine and overhaul it, just to change the oil filter, I would have left it outside of the car....

Since you have to crack open the printer case, perhaps consider a redesign that allows for easier access to the microSD card slot on the RPi?

Adafruit sells a microSD extender, btw.

Oh well, it was a long shot.
Guess I'll be digging it out and looking for a better way to house it while still keeping it neat. I'll look into that microSD extender - thanks!

Glad I'm not required to wipe out and reinstall Windows to keep any of its applications updated...

That isn't quite an apples to apples comparison. A new version of OctoPi is like updating from Windows XP to Windows 7 (and on to Windows 10). Applications (and portions of the OS) are updated with "apt".

It is possible to do an "in-place" upgrade although it is not recommended. See https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspbian-buster-upgrade,39735.html for details.

IMO, the best option for you with the RPi imbedded in your printer is to add the microSD extender.

1 Like

In bulk, I think I'm paying about $4 for a microSD card. Imagine paying $4 for a replacement hard drive for your PC computer—it suddenly changes how we think about upgrade paths. My labor to backup a microSD before an upgrade costs more than the cost to simply open another microSD card from its pack.