Freezing / no serial after I updated system and updated MQTT + UI Customizer

What is the problem?

I updated my pi after a few months and a couple of plugins (UI Customizer, MQTT) and the UI became sluggish and freezes a lot and, probably most importantly, octoprint no longer connects to the printer via USB.

What did you already try to solve it?

Safe mode
Not much else.
Oh I tried that 5V USB tape thing. That made even less happen when trying to connect.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

I have, no real change.

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

nope

Systeminfo Bundle

octoprint-systeminfo-20240306214345.zip (43.8 KB)

Additional information about your setup

Everything was working just fine until today when I noticed things slowing down and the UI was taking a little longer to respond. I updated my plugins and pulled the latest docker image and saw no improvements. I then went ahead and did all my system updates (sudo apt update / sudo apt full-upgrade)

I'm running a Pi 3 B+ with a pretty typical setup. Lulzbot Taz 5, cheapy webcam. Some fun stuff running on GPIO to make lights and fans turn on and off with Node RED.

Is there something broken in a recent update of bullseye?

Thanks for all the help!

After checking cables and whatever, I tried one last idea. Updating the firmware.

Sure it's the same old version it had on it, but I did it anyway.

Once done, I plugged it back into the Pi and now it wants to connect to serial so I guess "solved"?

1 Like

I un-marked the first reply as "solved" because I have a new theory that I'm testing:

the 2FAS browser extension for chrome is interfering with Octoprint.

https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/2fas-two-factor-authentic/dbfoemgnkgieejfkaddieamagdfepnff

When I enable it and reload octoprint, the Octoprint UI slows down considerably. Clicking on a link/element does nothing for a while--like dozens of seconds.

When I DISable the extension and reload octoprint, things are back to normal.

I blame Authy for sunsetting their desktop app and forcing me to find other options.

I'm now using an extension manager extension to disable on my octoprint sites.

So far this seems to work. It might also work for people having issues with other extensions.

1 Like