GUI password and username not working

did you actually install a desktop? Or do you mean the OctoPrint web side? Because there it is a different password and account which you were prompted to create on first run

I type in the default user and pass (which I haven’t changed) and it takes me to command line and shows me a small blinking line and then it goes back to the login.

If you installed OctoPi, there is no Raspbian Gui, just the command line level.
The login for the backend (command line level) is

login: pi
password: raspberry

Linux does not echo a keypress when entering the password
Be aware of different language keyboard layouts

1 Like

I mean the non web GUI that you install with something along the lines of “sudo /home/octopi/scripts/install_desktop

I’m talking about the GUI you can install that’s something like sudo /home/octopi/scripts/install_desktop

pi/raspberry unless you changed it.

You can reset it: Forgotten username and password to SSH into Pi - #7 by foosel

I don’t want to ssh I want to get into the gui

it is the same

No it’s not

I’ve alr tried

A assume you have an English keyboard layout?

Yes.

Efuhcehbfhrbfhebfhefbhechhebchechhdnchenc (I had to add that for not enough characters)

Yes it is. Default is user pi, password raspberry. If you've changed that, see above for reset instructions.

What reset instructions?

Those reset instructions that you answered with "I don't want to ssh I want to get into the gui" (which, again, are the same credentials)

I pass that to @Bryce_Brower :wink:

Hm, maybe it's not about the pasword at all but the graphical session can not open for some other reason.

The blinking line in the top left corner of the screen?

The gui you are talking about is the RaspberryPiOS desktop. The password is the same as the ssh user/password of pi/raspberry. If it goes to the blinking cursor then back to the login prompt, that is an issue with the desktop itself having an issue. Have you ssh'd in and run "sudo apt update" and "sudo apt full-upgrade -y"? If not, run those. It will update the RaspberryPiOS and could correct issues with the desktop install.

Keyboard issue because the standard OS's layout is english where Z and Y are swapped. Tripped me up for 3-4 tries =)

1 Like