Help Please with Endoscope

Hi,
This is my first post as a new member of the community. I'm looking for some advice on what to try next.

I have an Ender 3 with a Raspberry Pi running Octoprint, and both work fine.

I recently got one of the chinese made endoscope cameras that have USB plugs. When I tried it on my phone (Samsung S6) it gave a great picture so I fitted it to the front of the fan enclosure on the printer.

I edited the "octopi.txt" file and set the following:
camera="auto"
camera_usb_options="r- 1920x1080 -f 15"
additional_brokenfps_usb_devices=("f007:a999")

After a reboot I get the stream as shown in the attached picture (very grainy). I've tried lots of different settings and the size of the picture does change, but it's always grainy.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this ?

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Hello @AndyB!

Grainy images are usually a result of not enough light.

Hi Ewald,
Thank you for your reply.

I don't think that is the case here as the endoscope has a ring of small LEDs around the end which illuminate the nozzle.

Suggestion appreciated anyway.

Cheers,

Andy

I've just got one of those cheap endoscopic cameras. Where did you find the broken usb devices details from? My RPi 4 doesn't seem to recognise it when using the lsusb command. Do you suppose it is not compatible? Any advice?

Many thanks

from lsusb
Let's see if there is anything to see in dmesg

Log into your pi via ssh then disconnect the cam , connect it again, enter dmesg | tail -n 20 and post the output here.

I have similar issue, with a cheap endoscope android camera I got off ebay.
It works well with my android phone, and even on my linux PC, where it shows up as a 'Realtek USB Camera'.

but on the pi 4 it is not detected at all, lsusb doesn't indicate any new device being connected, nor does dmesg show any msgs related to the camera.

although the LED lights do powr on on the endoscope when it is plugged into the pi.

any pointers on troubleshooting would be highly appreciated.

ok, it appears to be working with my older raspberry pi 3 with official RPi power supply.
I assume the labists power supply I have with my pi 4 probably doesn't provide enough power. will check with a powered hub and update.

1 Like