What is the problem?
My octoprint "server" lost power 12 hours into a 28 hour print and my printer stopped.
I was able to power it back on but there was a big "blob" on my print where the print head stopped.
I moved the print head using the manual controls in Octoprint so I could clean the blob.
But, when I resumed the print, the printer started printing well above the level that it started, presumably offset by the manual controls that I had sent to the printer. I did not keep track of how far I moved the print head in each direction because I thought Octoprint would track that and move it back.
So, now I need some help figuring out
- where exactly in the gcode the printer stopped
- how to move it back to that position
- how to get it to resume from the point that it first stopped, although it has executed a few layers of the gcode after I resumed it.
What did you already try to solve it?
Tried looking at the gcode but I'm pretty new at this and couldn't figure it out.
Have you tried running in safe mode?
Don't think that is relevant.
You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)
Additional information about your setup
OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible
Octoprint Version 1.8.1
Printer Artillery Sidewinder X2
If you don't know the position the printer was in, then the best you can do is try and measure the height of the print, and manually edit the gcode. It will also require some manual work to send the right gcode commands, and to edit the gcode file to remove things like the homing commands from the start. Not an easy process.
To avoid this problem in the future, you can configure pause & resume gcode scripts in OctoPrint as set out in the guide below to make it move to a safe location and then move back to where it left off when you resume.
EDIT: I've just reread and seen this was after a power failure, not a regular pause & resume. There's no way to track the past positions when the power goes out.
Ok, I measured the height at 45.70mm and I am using 0.2mm layer height (of course it is right between two layers
Note that I measured from the face of the build plate, not the top of the raft that has been printed, assuming that is the way to do it.
Given the 12 hours of print time and ~$8 worth of filament involved, I'm willing to give it a try if you have any resources to point me to or can provide some guidance.
I am pretty new to 3d printing, just got this printer about a week ago. I am not a programmer and do not know gcode, but learned some C++ a while ago, VBA, SQL, and I can generally figure out what a language is doing even if I don't know the syntax, etc.
If it helps anyone help me, here's a dropbox link with the gcode.
My suggestion would be:
Go to the slicer, cut these 45.7 mm away from the bottom of the model, print the top part and glue it to the first part.
It is almost impossible to get the print started again where it stopped.
And if you try and fail, you also lose the first part.
Oh well. The good news is, my build plate is now freed up.
It also maybe makes it easier to epoxy coat the interior, which needs to be watertight and was going to be a bit of a challenge to do on the completed model. Hopefully The seam won't show where it is glued together....
Since it had a raft, I'm assuming I need to cut off less than 45.7mm (i.e. measure the actual height of the part with the raft removed.)
You are correct, you will need to compensate for the raft. It might be worthwhile just print a few layers of the "top part" and then test fit it to the "bottom part". You can then adjust your starting point until you get a good match without wasting too much filament.
This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.