Help with E-steps / Changes when starting a print

What is the problem?
I have saved my new esteps by doing this:
M92 E71

And then checked with M503 where it is says E71.

I then start a print but still get underextrusion. I then check M503 mid-print, where it has changed the E-steps to 44. I have no idea why...
Could it be my slicer or firmware?

What did you already try to solve it?
I've set the E-steps on the printer and in octoprint. Rebooted several times but still acts weird.

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible)
Printer: Ender 3-Pro
Mainboard: SKR 1.3
Firmware: Marlin Bugfix 2.0
Raspberry pi 4 with octoprint.

Unlikely that it is your firmware. You can bring up the gcode in an editor and search for "M92" to see if your slicer is doing something. You should set the steps, save the eeprom, then power off the machine and power it back on. Then check to see if the e-steps were really saved. FWIW, this is probably a better question for the Marlin forum than the octoprint forum.

Thanks for the answer!
I brought up the gcode and thought it looked a bit weird.
So I reinstalled Cura and made a new printer profile. Aaaand now it works.
I bit weird, but thank you for your help :slight_smile: