Hot-end overshooting temperature - aftermarket ceramic heater

I am running a Tevo Nereus with a Robin Nano V1.1 board.

I ordered a generic ceramic heater to replace the one in my hot-end. I have it wired in and it works but it heats too fast and overshoots the temperature setting. It eventually stops but it has reached almost 300 degrees when it is set for 210. Once it settles on 210 it is fine.

What did you already try to solve it?
I have tried to adjust the PID. using the EEPROM Marlin Editor plugin I have changed it from p=12.13 to p = 9, i = .82 to i = .6 and D = 44.71 to D = 33. I am unable to change the firmware at this time (my SD card reader is broken).
I found this (after I posted);

• if it overshoots a lot and oscillates, either the integral gain needs to be increased or all gains should be reduced
  • Too much overshoot? Increase D, decrease P.
  • Response too damped? Increase P.
  • Ramps up quickly to a value below target temperature (0-160 fast) and then slows down as it approaches target (160-170 slow, 170-180 really slow, etc) temperature? Try increasing the I constant.

I decreased everything so I need to increase d from 44 - ...let's see how that works...

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, what kind of hardware precisely, ...)

I have OctoPrint 1.4.0 and OctoPi 0.17.0 on a raspberryPi 4 B Rev 1.1 2gb.)

You may run PID-autotune: https://reprap.org/wiki/PID_Tuning

Are you sure the voltage rating for the heating cartridge is the same as your control solution? Like you didn’t drop a 12v heating cartridge into a 24v system, right? That’s the only thing I can think of other than needing to do a PID autotune. That being said, the huge rocket up to 300 degrees seems to indicate that it might be the wrong heater cartridge voltage.

1 Like

I bet you are right. I will check into that. Thanks!