IDEX Duplication & Mirror Mode

What is the problem/challenge?

I'm currently building a custom IDEX printer. The plan is to use Marlin 2.0 which supports IDEX and mirror/duplication modes with M605 Sx.
My initial idea was to simply make a Cura profile with a smaller bed and M605 S2 for duplication or M605 S3 for mirror in the start Gcode.

What would be extremely nice is if Octoprint can assign the M605 command. In a way that when you start a print you can say print it in duplex or mirror mode.

What did you already try to solve it?

As mentioned I'm currently building the printer. So I don't have anything to test yet.

Additional information about your setup

Current firmware (will be updated once machine is finished):
Octoprint 1.4.0 running on Octopi 0.17.0 (currently installed on Tevo Tarantula for testing)
Marlin 2.0.5.3 running on BTT SKR V1.1 Pro

It would be extremely nice if something like this is possible! Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hello @Fabiandelete!

For the print bed geometry changes from normal to copy/mirror mode (as half as wide), it would be easy to set up a separate printer profile with the used commands in the start section in the GCODE scripts.

Okey, that is in line with my initial idea (but instead of doing it in Cura it's done in Octoprint). Changing profile's can be done while connecting to the printer, right?

Never tried it myself

Profiles are selected in the Connection section of the OctoPrint main screen. The GCODE Scripts are not profile specific but the Printer Profile is available.

1 Like

You are right. Seems I mixed someting up.

You can still do what you want but its not as simple as create a profile and add the command to the start script.

The start script will have to query for something like the current profile name or some other unique value in the profile to determine the command to send.

Hi folks, I'm making a custom 3d printer into IDEX.
Using marlin 2.0 & rumba 8bit, capable to achieve duplicate mode in Cura.

But really finding difficulty in getting mirror mode done, plz suggest ur valuable ideas.

M605 S2 duplicate mode is printing active
M605 S3 for mirror mode is unable to print.

Plz send in case if u have marlin 2.0 profile or any other Cura profile.

Thanks in advance :pray:t2:

Hello @Maddy!

You may find some answers in Marlin and/or Cura forums.
This is the OctoPrint forum and your request seems not to fit here.

Thanks for the quick response, I have used octa print for single extruder, but haven't tried with IDEX, atlst is there any possibility and can guidee how I can duplicate or mirror the prints in octaprint.
Ur support will be highly appreciated.

I see.
I do all my settings in the slicer and so not have special profiles for the different IDEX modes in OctoPrint.

I use PrusaSlicer, but here is the Start G-Code I work with:

G21        ;metric values
G90        ;absolute positioning
M82        ;set extruder to absolute mode
M104 S[first_layer_temperature_1] T1
M109 S[first_layer_temperature_0] T0
T0
M106 P0 S0
M106 P1 S0
M605 S3 X 200
G28 ; home all axes
M420 S1
G1 X-42 F8000
G92 E0
G1 E5 F500
G1 X0 F5000
G1 X-40
G1 X0
G1 X-40
G1 X0
G1 X-40
G1 X200 
G1 Y200 F5000
M420 S1
G1 X-42 F8000
G92 E0
G1 E5 F500
G1 X0 F5000
G1 X-40
G1 X0
G1 X-40
G1 X0
G1 X-40
G1 X200 
G1 Y200 F5000

More on the M605 commands here:
https://reprap.org/wiki/G-code#M605:_Set_dual_x-carriage_movement_mode

1 Like

Thanks a tonne Ewald, I will check and update u soon. :handshake:

Hi @Maddy,

Did you ever get this to work? I have a creator max 2 and can not get the mirror/duplicate, or even dual color printing to work.