Image file did not install Octoprint files

What is the problem?

To start with I resolved the issue but I want to know what caused it.

I re-imaged my Octoprint server to the latest stable build (1.7.3 and 0.18)
I used the Raspberry Pi Imager to install. When I completed the image and
manually updated the network supplicant file with the correct network settings
I put the micro sd in the raspberry pi and Octoprint did not come up.

I then used a terminal to access the pi and discovered that the OctoPrint
folder had only a blank readme.txt file. The initial screen indicated I had 0.18 but the OctoPrint did not
seem to be there. I manually ran
~/oprint/bin/pip install --force-reinstall OctoPrint==1.7.3 --no-cache-dir
which once completed OctoPrint now comes up correctly.

I tried this again with another micro sd card and noticed that the settings
for country code was set to "GB" so I modified it to be "US" This time the installation
worked correctly and OctoPrint came up fine.

What could have happened with the first failure? There was only a single empty reademe.txt file present in the
OctoPrint folder. The micro sd cards were the same brand and size.

What did you already try to solve it?

Reinstalled Octoprint manually via a terminal.

Have you tried running in safe mode?


Did running in safe mode solve the problem?


Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)


Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible


With the pi imager, after you select the image and the destination, hit CTRL SHIFT X. It brings up a menu where you set the wifi, country code, set the ssh password to what you want etc. Do not change the username. It has to stay pi
Save then write the image

This is how it is intended to ship - did you read the readme.txt file? The folder is there as a placeholder if anyone wants to add an OctoPrint git checkout. OctoPrint used to require that, but no longer does.

I did that. I'm curious if the country code being "GB" rather than "US" could have caused the issue or is simply a red herring. I guess I could reimage another sd card and use "GB" again to see if the issue returns.

I tested with both "GB" and "US" as the country codes and in this last test both failed to install correctly. I'm not sure what is causing it to sometimes work and sometimes not. Since I have both my main server and the backup server up to speed I will not continue to explore this issue. If there is something that someone would like me to try I am willing to do so. I have a backup sd card (for my backup server) that I can test as needed.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.