Impossible to link astroprint and octoprint

Hi everyone,

I'm currently using Astroprint for managing my 12 printers, but I would like to change the network and have an ethernet connection for printing. I set up statics IP addresses on the raspberry pi zero w of each printer, and printing via octoprint via ethernet is working.

Unfortunately, it is impossible for me to link octoprint and astroprint with the access key and I don't know why. When I copy/paste the access key from astroprint to octoprint, octoprint tells me :

The server appears to be offline, at least I'm not getting any response from it. I'll try to reconnect automatically over the next couple of minutes, however you are welcome to try a manual reconnect anytime using the button below."

It reconnected well, but it is still not connected to astroprint.

Could you help me to find a solution please?

I already updated the version of the Astroprint plugin for Octoprint (v1.3.5) but this doesn't change anything.

Thank you so much.

Celine

Is this for a business? (Just curious.)

Yes it's a business :wink:

The Pi Zero only has a single core and 512MB of RAM. If each of these also has a webcam then it's probably under-powered. There are suggestions that printing with a Zero leads to blobbing of the parts. Most people install OctoPrint on a Raspberry Pi 3B, 3B+ or a 4B and are happy with the results. Each of these have an RJ-45 connection for what it's worth.

Each Pi should have its own unique hostname. Feel free to issue static IP addresses to each if you'd like (I do this at the router in the DHCP lease section rather than local configuration on the Pi, though).

It doesn't matter if you use the same API key throughout or not. If you do have unique API keys then each Astroprint plugin should have the correct information at least.

It's very possible that your traffic from your Pi out to the Internet is getting blocked.

1 Like

I created an account just to confirm this. I've just gotten Octoprint set up on my Pi Zero, and the first print I used it for was something I had already printed - the Pentagram fan guard https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1814736.

The first one I printed was from an SD card, and it came out flawlessly.
The second one I printed was from OctoPrint running on the Pi Zero, which I did just last night, and there's a little blobbing and stringiness.

It still works for me just fine, and I can still work with it, but for those who are using this with a business, do not use the Pi Zero. Just go with the Raspberry Pi 4 - you can write it off as a business expense (since it will definitely be 100% business-use) using depreciation in the same year that you bought it (whereas if you have several expensive tower PCs used for business, you might want to depreciate the expenses over 5 years). You can deduct the total costs of what you purchase related to the computer (the power supply, extra fans, Pi casings, a webcam, etc) - just keep those expenses listed, keep them together, and when you bought them. Since you'll be using them for over 50% of the time of your business, it qualifies as a Section 179 deduction.

(Although some will say it's overkill) I'd recommend going with the "top" Raspberry Pi 4B, 8GB RAM. If you need to, you can repurpose it later. Or if it does only end up being used as an OctoPrint server, then it'll have the longest support and be the least resource-intensive, meaning a longer life. For business purposes, that's ideal. And they're cheap enough to just do it. And you can write the whole thing off.

I disagree on this point. The RPi 4 is probably overkill for running OctoPrint (and a camera) but if you go that route, 8GB of ram is also overkill. Compound that with the current state of the OS for the 8GB model suggests that a 2GB or 4GB model might be a more sensible choice ATM. Alternatively, an RPI 3B+ is a good solid choice.

I literally already addressed all of your exact reasons for disagreeing on the basis of overkill, having acknowledged the overkill before I said it, and then addressing the "why" after making that recommendation. If you read the rest of that exact paragraph you quoted, then you'd see why your response on this matter was pointless. Pi is a tool. Tools can be repurposed after their original purpose, but you never know what you might want to repurpose something for, later on. "Sufficient" is irrelevant, when the cost is pocket change.

(Edit) Possible reasons for maximizing with RPi 4B 8GB:

1. Throw Nginx as a reverse proxy for multiple printer servers
  2. Higher quality webcam feed
  3. Set up Docker with Nginx and set up Heimdall with pretty links to each server, to the webcam feed, and to a Dokuwiki docker instance to keep track of notes relating to prints
  4. Plenty of other ideas that don't come to mind right now, but will undoubtedly come to mind for someone who's actually doing it

We agree that an RPi 4 is overkill but I stand by my recommendation based on the current state of the OS for the RPi 4 8GB model. A business owner has to weigh risk as well as other factors in their decisions.

You have made some good points and since I don't want to hijack the OP request for help, I'll bow out.