In Octoprint's GCode Viewer, what does solid black mean?

This is not a problem, just curious so I can better understand the tool.

OctoPrint version: 1.5.2,
OctoPi version: 0.18.0 (64 bit),
printer: Snapmaker 2, A350,
firmware: latest (not sure ver #),
browser: Chrome 87.0.4280.88 (Official Build) (x86_64),
operating system: MacOS 10.14.6

What does solid black mean in Octoprint's GCode Viewer? I'm gathering it appears on the top-most touch on any given layer.

The slicer I used for the project was Cura. I don't remember turning on any exotic features such as ironing.

Does the solid black simply denote the top-most touch on any given layer? Does it denote ironing?

Solid black likely means that the lines were so close together that they are touching, creating a solid area. Think how you might get a pen and colour in a square, if the lines are close together and touch the area appears solid, but actually it is made of lots of small lines.

1 Like

Actually Iโ€™m at that point on a live project right now, and the black seems to indicate ironing or smoothing. That is what it is doing. It is going back over areas that it already did on this layer, diagonally transverse to the original diagonal lines of extrusion. I donโ€™t know if I turned on an ironing feature in Cura without remembering it, or if it is on by default. But the solid black does seem to indicate smoothing or ironing.

The color black indicates the first extruder, blue the second, red the third, green the fourth and violet the fifth. And I think some more colors for more extruders

When it is solid black (or one of the other colors), then it is as @Charlie_Powell said: The extrusion lines are so close nearby that the GCode Viewer does not resolve them any more. And for ironing this is obvious. You already have a solid area with the first layer(s) and, depending on your model, the top layer(s).

2 Likes

Got it, thanks. Good to know!