Installation issue

I try to install Octoprint for a PI 4 on a 64 Go Sandisk SD card, with Imager, but the image i get on the SD card does not work : the system starts and does things during a few seconds (green Ok everywhere) and reboot 3 times, then it stops on a black screen and i can't do anything ! I have tried several SD cards, doing the image on a Linux Mint machine, and on a pi 5. Always the same ... I tried to install other OS with imager but none are working : always the same problem. When i put a card with an old installed OS The Pi 4 is working.

1 Like

Hello @polo !

Are the 64 GB Sandisk genuine? There are fakes around.

Genuine Sandisk 64 Go SD card

What OctoPrint image did you use?

Did you get a message after the flashing which says something like the card needs to be formated and did you click on yes?

1.9 stable image
No i did not get such a message

I have no more ideas on what i can try to fix the issue. I tried

to change the SD card
to change the computer from which i run imager
to change the OS i want to install
the SD card adaptor
to change the PI on which i use the SD card (Pi 4 and Pi 3)

Always the same issue :

• imager says install is sucessfull
  • i put the SD card in a Pi and try to boot it
  • the Pi does things (with green OK), reboot 3 times and stops on a
    black screen

The card is not working !

What do you mean by the Pi does things? You get a console output on the screen?

3 times restart is weird - it should restart once after the partition is resized.

Did you also try different power supplies? Maybe it browns out

BlockquoteWhat do you mean by the Pi does things? You get a console output on the screen?

Yes i get reports on the screen but it goes fast and i can't read it

BlockquoteDid you also try different power supplies? Maybe it browns out

I tried on several pi with their own alimentation all are genuine Raspberry alimentations

I checked the image i got with Gpart : it looks like a part of the old content of the SD card (before imager) is kept !

Finaly i have downloaded an Image of the new Raspi OS directly on the Raspberry Web site (raw image) and restored it with Gpart. And that is working but of course without octoprint. Seems that the images downloaded with imager are not operational at the moment !

Interesting.
You can download the latest images here

If installing by hand works for you - do it that way.
You can also select your own image in the Pi Imager without downloading anything.
Another alternative to the Pi Imager would be https://etcher.balena.io/

Yes i will try that !
Thanks for the link to octoprint image :smiley:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.