Installing on and booting from USB SSD

What is the problem?

I am in the planning stage of setting up a Raspberry Pi 4B with OctoPi for my Ender 3 Pro. It is currently in use as a home server. I am expecting a new mini PC to arrive in the next few days. Once I migrate my server data and services over to the new PC, the RasPi4B will be repurposed with OctoPi.

Anyway, it currently has a USB SSD attached to it and it boots directly from the SSD (no SD card). Since I have no other use for the SSD, I'm planning to flash it with OctoPi and continue to boot from it.

1. will that be an issue as far as OctoPi goes?

2. do I need to do anything special to tell it where to put the time lapse videos it will be generating?

What did you already try to solve it?

N/A

Have you tried running in safe mode?

N/A

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

N/A

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

N/A

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

N/A

1. No, should flash exactly the same as SD card. That's how I run my pi 4 on USB thumb drives.
  2. If you're concerned with wearing out the SSD then you could specify a different path, assuming an SD card.

#2 no I was more concerned that OctoPrint might be set to put them on the SD card by default.

oh no, the default path will go into /home/pi/.octoprint/timelapse IIRC, which would be your SSD if that's what the Pi is booting up to.

If you boot from an SSD, you don't need an SD card in the Pi.

Thanks. Still a little green with the *nix environment.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.