Invalid YAML Error

Hello, I'm trying to get octoprint running again on my windows computer. Below is the message i'm seeing in the command prompt. Any help is appreciated thanks!

(venv) C:\octoprint>octoprint serve
2019-10-26 20:29:32,907 - octoprint.startup - CRITICAL - Could not initialize settings manager: Error parsing the configuration file, it appears to be invalid YAML. The parser reported an error on line 38, column 17.

Well what's in line 38 of your config.yaml? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don't know how to check. Any advice?

It should be located in %APPDATA%/OctoPrint
I would suggest to use notepad++ as editor

How exactly can i edit that file? I tried using notepad in the command prompt but it said I did not have permission to open the file.

I'm just guessing because I have never used octoprint on a windows pc.
Try to run notepad++ (or another editor) as administrator.
Press the windows key, enter the name of the editor, right click on it and click on run as administrator.
Now open the config with the editor.

hmm I can't seem to find the config file when searching my local disk. It only shows up when using the command prompt. Thx for you help btw. If you have any other ideas let me know

Try to enter %APPDATA%/OctoPrint as filename and press enter after you clicked on file -> open in the editor.

It worked! it turns out I had to select "all files" instead of "text documents" for the config.yaml file to appear. line 38 was an improper serial port name i had tried to add manually. I deleted it and it fixed the problem. anyways, thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

You can also enter *.* as filename in order to see all file types

So octoprint is starting again after you removed the serial port name?

yep its up and running again. thanks!!

Great :slight_smile:

Please mark the thread as solved

1 Like