Issues after installing BLTouch on Ender 3 V2

What is the problem?

Fairly new to 3d printing, I have been running my Ender 3 V2 stock without issue. I've slowly added upgrades without many issues so far (octoprint, all metal extruder, all metal hot end, dual z axis) and have been printing reliably and confidently.

Yesterday I installed BLTouch 3.1 to the printer from the a kit I got from Technology Outlet. (Official Antclabs), flashed the included firmware and tried a couple small test prints.

At the start of the second test print during the auto bed leveling, I received probe failure error in Octoprint, this happened twice and caused Octoprint to disconnect and my printers own screen froze each time. After rebooting this printed successfully the third time.

After another successful test print I sliced a new print in Cura on my normal settings and set it going. 8 hours later my spaghetti detective access anywhere app on my phone showed the print as 100% but did not send the normal "Done" or Print complete alert. I checked on the printer and found the print fully complete, but the hot end and the bed still both heated and the hot end still touching the print. Thankfully It has only been like this for around 10 minutes.

At this point I quickly moved the nozzle away from the print using the printer interface. I received no errors from Octoprint and shut down as normal.

What did you already try to solve it?

Contacted technology outlet for information on the firmware.

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, what kind of hardware precisely, ...)

Using the latest octoprint (currently my server is turned off and I'm away from home).

I'm unsure what firmware came with the kit, it is only labelled as firmware 55HS03032.

Link to the kit I bought : Technology Outlet Official Antclabs BLTouch Auto Bed levelling kit  

Any help or thoughts appreciated as this has really reduced my confidence in my printer.

Edit - I used Octoprint to load all prints, not the SD card.

Hello @Bruncan !

It seems that there is something wrong in the firmware.
You may use a fork directly from Marlin.

@brotherchris has a couple of videos that deal with the Bltouch:

Watch the probing - if the probe starts blinking it means an error has occurred.
Tell us what happened when it failed - for example did the probe not deploy or retract?
If that's the case there is a little screw to fine tune the probe.

Please upload the gcode of the print - maybe there was something missing at the and there were no "move the hotend away and turn the temperature off" commands

Hi, thanks for reply.

I missed the first probe failure but the second time I did watch closely. The probe worked as normal for the first three probes along the bed. On the fourth the probe deployed, lowered and made contact with the bed, it turned red but then instead of lifting a little to probe again, it lowered a few mm further staying red, then sent the error code. The nozzle did not touch the bed. There was no blinking either.

As for the Gcode, the cura auto end code is successfully on the file, including M104 S0, M140 S0 and retraction and raising Z axis. Somehow it just didn't send or receive this after finishing the print.


Thanks I thought about this too, hopefully I find out what the firmware is from the company.

The trouble is their instructions say I must use their included firmware to maintain the warranty and eligibility for support.

I had these probe errors as well with my BLTouch v3.1 on my Ender 3 v2.
This thread helped me al lot and i'm using the firmware provided there.