IT Illiterate trying to install Octoprint on Raspberry PI


#1

Ok I am completely IT illiterate. I have managed to set up and install my Raspberry PI and that works fine.

The problem starts when I try to install Octoprint as my husband wants to use this with his 3D printer.

From what I understand I have to download octoprint on my laptop then extract the IMG from the zipped file. Fine I can do this.

But when I remove the SD card (its a 16gb card) from the Raspberry PI and put it in my laptop and try to add the file it tells me I dont have space.

Now I know that the PI runs on linux and windows doesnt see this, but PI Raspi-config tells me that it cant expand as NOOBS already expands to use the whole card.

So Ive tried using Etcher to Flash the IMG to the SD card and then put the SD card back in the Rapsberry PI. It loads to a point then asks me for Octopi log in name and password.

Im now starting from scratch and re-installing the PI system but I know its already reduced my 16GB down to 1.8GB and Im at a complete loss as to how to change this or make it useable!

How do I expand the disc size so it is recognised on windows and will allow me to add the IMG file I need to add to install octoprint? Or is there something really basic I am missing that I should be doing instead?

Just to note....If you tell me to manual expand my SD card you need to give me exact details on how to do this (including exactly what I need to type in to the command box on PI), I have no idea what partitions are, or main partitions starting points or anything, you need to explain it as if you are talking to someone who does not understand command functions (because I really dont!)


#2

I used this page and the links provided to do my install and it went fine.. Only issues was the Wireless Nic was not so great and I ended up using wired.(after it was all working)
OctoPrint.org - Download & Setup OctoPrint You are installing the octopi image which has Octoprint the the streaming package for the web cam and the OS .. I don't remember all the steps as I just followed the links and instructions..


#3

thats what I did originally but I dont understand why I dont have enough space on my SD card - did you download using the raspberry PI or an external PC?


#4
  1. You need a PC running Windows or Linux; or a Mac that has an SD card reader/writer and internet access.
  2. Install an application on the desktop that will write an image to an SD card. There are multiple options but I use Etcher.
  3. If the desktop is Windows, install an application that will speak SSH. I use PuTTY.
  4. If the desktop is Windows, install an editor that understands Unix line endings. I use Notepad++.
  5. Download the OctoPi SD card image (it will be a zip file) and using Etcher, write the image to the SD card (you can point Etcher at the .zip file, it knows what to do from there).
  6. Follow the steps in the document @airscapes linked.

When you boot the Raspberry Pi for the first time using this image, it will expand the file system to use the entire SD card and will connect using DHCP to your wired or wireless network. If you are having problems with wireless you can look in numerous topics in this forum. The Raspberry Pi should appear on your LAN with the name octopi.local or just octopi (it depends on your router that is the DHCP server).

(Optional) Using PuTTY or a suitable SSH client, connect to the Raspberry Pi using the name or IP address, the username of pi, and the password raspberry. Follow instructions to change the password. SSH access isn't necessary but will be useful for troubleshooting later on.

Using a browser on your desktop, connect to the Raspberry Pi using the name or IP address. There will be some first use steps to complete. Plug your printer into a USB port on the Raspberry Pi and you should be ready to print!


#5

Imagine a pie chart with two slices and they're labeled "boot" and "the-other-one". The pie slice labeled "boot" is perhaps 10% and the other one is 90%. It sounds like you were trying to put things on the wrong slice of pie, hence the error.

But use the instructions, as suggested earlier in the link.


#6

ok cool, Giving that a go now :smiley: