Just installed OctoPrint on laptop to run printer

Just installed Octo and no matter what I do or which USB port I use I keep getting the same error message.

Connecting to: COM4
Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Error: Connection error, see Terminal tab"
Unexpected error while connecting to serial port: COM4 SerialException: 'Cannot configure port, something went wrong. Original message: WindowsError(31, 'A device attached to the system is not functioning.')' @ comm.py:_openSerial:2661 (hook default)
Connecting to: COM4
Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Error: Connection error, see Terminal tab"
Unexpected error while connecting to serial port: COM4 SerialException: 'Cannot configure port, something went wrong. Original message: WindowsError(31, 'A device attached to the system is not functioning.')' @ comm.py:_openSerial:2661 (hook default)

I'm very new to this type of thing so any help would be immensely appreciated.

Is there another application, eg Cura, using the serial port?

1 Like

As far as I can tell Octoprint is the only thing using or trying to use the port but I'm essentially stumbling blind here.

Can Cura or Pronterface establish a connection to the printer?

1 Like

Do you even have a COM4? Run Device Manager, the Ports (COM & LPT) section, what ports are listed?

BTW You need to be connected to the internet when you install, as several things get downloaded as part of install.