M115 misses firmware version, OctoPrint not able to fully populate dict structure

What is the problem?
According to https://docs.octoprint.org/en/master/plugins/hooks.html#firmware_info_hook, Octoprint reads the firmware's version from the output of M115 which is expected to be formatted as

FIRMWARE_NAME:Some Firmware Name FIRMWARE_VERSION:1.2.3 PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0

However, current Marlin version(s) report to M115 like this:

FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin bugfix-2.0.x (GitHub) SOURCE_CODE_URL:https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:3D Printer EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555555

What did you already try to solve it?
Looked at Marlin GitHub for related changes, no success.
Logs (octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support!)
Log from Terminal Tab:

[...]
Send: M115
Recv: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin bugfix-2.0.x (GitHub) SOURCE_CODE_URL:https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:3D Printer EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555555
Recv: Cap:SERIAL_XON_XOFF:0
Recv: Cap:BINARY_FILE_TRANSFER:0
Recv: Cap:EEPROM:1
Recv: Cap:VOLUMETRIC:1
Recv: Cap:AUTOREPORT_TEMP:1
Recv: Cap:PROGRESS:0
Recv: Cap:PRINT_JOB:1
Recv: Cap:AUTOLEVEL:0
Recv: Cap:Z_PROBE:1
Recv: Cap:LEVELING_DATA:0
Recv: Cap:BUILD_PERCENT:0
Recv: Cap:SOFTWARE_POWER:0
Recv: Cap:TOGGLE_LIGHTS:0
Recv: Cap:CASE_LIGHT_BRIGHTNESS:0
Recv: Cap:EMERGENCY_PARSER:0
Recv: Cap:PROMPT_SUPPORT:0
Recv: Cap:AUTOREPORT_SD_STATUS:0
Recv: Cap:THERMAL_PROTECTION:1
Recv: Cap:MOTION_MODES:0
Recv: Cap:CHAMBER_TEMPERATURE:0
Recv: ok
Send: M155 S2
Recv: ok
[...]

Please let me know if further logs are required/helpful.

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible)
OctoPrint v1.4.0rc3, Wanhao Duplicator i3, Marlin bugfix-2.0.x as of 3.1.2020, Chrome, Windows 10

I know that this is more a Marlin topic than an OctoPrint issue...but as I came across this while trying to make the OctoPrint Marlin EEPROM plugin work with bugfix-2.0.x, and because I wildly guess that your connections to the Marlin devs are much closer than mine, I post this here...I'll however also post this in the Marlin forum.

As I understand your problem, the format of the firmware string is different than what is normaly expected. What is the error that results from this differing format?

Hi - yes, this is correct.

I was using the OctoPrint Marlin EEPROM plugin for quite some time, but this plugin stopped working some 'releases' of Marlin bugfix-2.0.x ago (not all parameters are displayed in the plugin's configuration pages, for me especially the M851 Z Offset). Digging into the code of the EEPROM plugin, I found that parsing the response of M115 causes this issue. The plugin expects to find a 'FIRMWARE VERSION' information in OctoPrint's dict, but that's no longer there.

As the plugin is no longer actively maintained, I started fiddling around in the code, realizing that reading the firmware version using the firmware_info_hook does no longer work because the firmware_data information does no longer include a version number.

I don't know whether this needs to be changed on Marlin's end (opened a bug report there as well), or if this is just because bugfix.2.0.x is not a release, but a beta (without version info).

However, I'd like to continue to use the EEPROM plugin, but I'm stuck with issues parsing the output of the current version(s) of Marlin.

Of course I can perfectly continue to make the required adjustments directly through G Code...but I'd like to get this plugin working again.

Thanks for responding!