MP Mini Select V2 Loses Connection

What is the problem?

While I can initially get my MP Mini Select V2 connected via USB to my Raspberry Pi 4, it inevitably loses connection within a few minutes. When it's connected, I am able to control it and have it start a print. But at some point shortly thereafter, the connection is lost. I've attached relevant logs.

What did you already try to solve it?

Ensured everything is up to date. I tried a few different cables, though maybe I need to try more... I am using the plugin for the connection fix. I have not yet tried the tape trick but will soon.

Logs (octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support!)

serial.log (981 Bytes)
octoprint.log (1.3 KB)

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible)

Yeah I would try the tape trick.
The pi 4 behaves in odd ways if devices draw too much power via usb.

Unfortunately, that hasn't helped. I actually even tried a Pi 3 and even OctoPi on Windows and I get essentially the same behaviour. It's a giant pain to get the device recognized over usb at all, and if I am lucky enough to do, it will eventually lose connection and then it's all over again. Half-tempted to toss this printer in the trash and buy a new one as I think the USB connection on it is to blame. I see others apparently using this without too many issues, but all I get is problems.

The Pi4B has two USB v2 and two USB v3 connectors. If it were me, I'd move the USB serial cable to one of the older v2-style of connectors to be on the safe side of things.

Make sure that the serial cable has internal metallic shielding or a ferrite core. Make sure that both ends of the serial cable fit snugly. Make sure that the printer is powered and the ON switch is toggled ON.

I note that the serial log you provided indicates that you're attempting to print via the SD card in your printer's board rather than from the local microSD card on the Pi. Try instead uploading the file to your Pi via the OctoPrint Files side panel widget, select it there and try to print from there. It's an entirely different thing, trust me.

Thanks for the advice, both of you.
I was able to get things to work by eventually finding a USB cable that it liked. One that ironically looked less quality but of course looks are deceiving. So I’ve got it all hooked up and while I’m hesitant to unplug anything ever again (the printer micro USB port is really finicky) it does all work at the moment.

1 Like