My Octoprint keeps crashing, I dont know why

What is the problem?

Octoprint randomly crashes and going into safe mode. Sometimes a restart will fix it. Other times it wont.

What did you already try to solve it?

I downloaded the log file but cant make heads or tails of it.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Thats where it goes to but since the plugins turn on the printer and ventilation I cant print in safe mode.

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

Crashing and going into safe mode is the problem.

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

browser.user_agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_14_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/91.0.4472.77 Safari/537.36
connectivity.connection_check: 1.1.1.1:53
connectivity.connection_ok: true
connectivity.enabled: true
connectivity.online: true
connectivity.resolution_check: octoprint.org
connectivity.resolution_ok: true
env.hardware.cores: 4
env.hardware.freq: 1200
env.hardware.ram: 971063296
env.os.bits: 32
env.os.id: linux
env.os.platform: linux2
env.plugins.pi_support.model: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
env.plugins.pi_support.octopi_version: 0.15.1
env.plugins.pi_support.throttle_state: 0x50005
env.python.pip: 20.3.3
env.python.version: 2.7.13
env.python.virtualenv: true
octoprint.safe_mode: true
octoprint.version: 1.6.1
printer.firmware: Marlin TH3D U1.R2.B5
systeminfo.generator: systemapi
octoprint (5).log (358.0 KB)

WRITE HERE

If the server starts up in safe mode, then you probably have a plugin installed that is crashing the startup.

You need to find out which plugin this is (it does not say in the logs). Disable them all, and re-enable one by one until the server will no longer work, then you know which one was the problem.

To start, try disabling the GPIO control plugins - GPIO based stuff can sometimes cause segmentation faults, and these instant-crash the Python process with nothing in the log.

Getting any low voltage errors? That will crash a pi

1 Like

That is to be assumed

I'm leaning more and more towards a very annoying nag screen if undervoltage is detected...

6 Likes

ive uninstalled most of the plugins and it seemed to help in the beginning but now it started crashing again. Im not getting undervoltage errors.
I have noticed that the printer display is not showing any information while printing. Just lid up screen.

So could you please share the complete systeminfo bundle. It's a zip-file you can upload here.

I replaced my pi and put a fresh install on it. So far so good.

Great. In the future though, please share the information you've now been repeatedly been asked for by both the template and community members. We are not asking for that stuff to annoy you, but because we are actually doing our best to help you. For that we need the information in the systeminfo bundle however, and withholding it while still asking for help is incredibly frustrating for those who want to help, increasing the likelihood they'll ignore you to keep their own sanity.

This kind of self sabotage that I constantly have to witness here and on the issue tracker frankly boggles my mind.

sorry for the misunderstanding, I added the zip with the system info. I thought it was the information I already pasted as text.
octoprint-systeminfo-20210612222443.zip (96.6 KB)
sorry for the frustration. hope this helps

1 Like

I hope you have a way better power supply with that one.
With that log, there is a constant undervoltage issue present:

2021-06-10 02:21:22,534 - octoprint.plugins.pi_support - WARNING - This Raspberry Pi is reporting problems that might lead to bad performance or errors caused by overheating or insufficient power.
!!! UNDERVOLTAGE REPORTED !!! Make sure that the power supply and power cable are capable of supplying enough voltage and current to your Pi.

That’s strange. I don’t see it in the GUI. I power my pi with a din rail psu. Dialed in the correct voltage (Checked with multimeter) and connected that to the ground and 5v of the pi.
I was planning to make and open wire micro usb cable instead but still with the same power supply.
I can dail it up a bit but I’m afraid to fry the pi.

5.1V is still ok.
Do you have some info (link or so) about the PSU you use?

MDR-40-5

Before use I dailed it to the Pi's voltage requirements.

Try to dial in while it's connected and running.
With load, the voltage may drop a bit.

I’ll will try that definitely. But I’ll first switch from the pinout to the micro usb since that is more protected.
Just need to wait for the cable to get in.

It’s a nice custom case, would be a shame to no use the din rail psu.

1 Like

Looks great!

But I really recommend to leave the PSU closed, or print a cover for it for better cooling.
Chances are great to get shocked by the high voltage components when you are working in that area.

It's a matter of safety

2 Likes

I cant cover it or the 120mm fan wont be able to blow on it. The entire thing is closed (not in the picture) by a curved bit of plexiglas. The front has the exit holes so the air has a nice flow. :slight_smile: no worries about safety. Not working on the case is the power is on. I do wish the psu would be a bit nicer looking on the inside though.

Honestly, I never saw such a power supply has to be cooled by a 120mm fan.
It's quite over done. These are so efficient, they do not produce so much heat.

Unless you are using a LED power supply. But I don't think you will bother your printer with such a device...

Well the 60mm fan that was in the psu was very low quality and noisy. The reason I went for this instead is because you can run the fans at a lower speed making them noise free, also it doesn’t only cool the psu is also cools the pi a bit. :grin: