Need to install older version to run M33 fio for Micro M3d

Hi all I just updated the new version by @jneilliii
Printer works and responds to commands,
I’ll keep everyone updated

1 Like

I, too, have an M3D Micro (from Kickstarter back then). Never worked well. Discovered OctoPrint just a few days ago, installed it on one of my RasPis and was wondering if/how it would work with the M3D Micro which I still have.
Found this thread but am confused now: WILL it work with the latest OctoPi version? Would I need a plugin? Will that be available and compatible?

To be truly honest, we don't know either. The original author of that plugin didn't update it, the best we can get is the link from @jneilliii:

The only way it seems we will be able to know for definite is if someone with one of these printers tries it on a newer OctoPrint version (we're on 1.6.1 now). So I guess we might be about to find out if it works...? :slightly_smiling_face:

Okay, I will try to help finding things out.
(I wrote this answer and embedded several screenshots. However, because I'm a new user I'm only allowed to embed just one image. Would've been nice to know that in advance ... As a workaround I screenshotted my answer with the embedded screenshots and embedded that as the one image I'm allowed. So please click on this image to read my findings.)

I'm running OctoPrint (via the latest OctoPi image) 1.6.1 on a RasPi 4B (2GB RAM) and have the M3D Micro (Kickstarter Edition) connected to the Pi via USB.

Now I don't know about the current firmware version of my M3D Micro and I don't know how to read it out or how to flash a newer one if there was one. The M3D Micro is very old and I guess that their software for it isn't available anymore or wouldn't work on todays computers/OSes?!

So that's the current state of my research. Will investigate further.

Okay, I found out that the M3D Website for downloads is still there and downloaded their Mac software. It's from 2016(!) and contains a Mono framework version. So first installed that one on my iMac running Catalina. Turns out: the M3D software doesn't launch and complains that the Mono version "is not support":

So I downloaded the latest Mono framework version from the Mono project website but – no surprise – with that version installed it doesn't work either and comes up with the same dialog. Oh well.

Being dependant on the Mono framework at all was one of the reasons why I didn't like the printer in the first place. I don't use Windows at all (besides at work where I'm forced to) and for a Mac user having to install Mono was a pain in the rear.

So. Long story short: no way for me to check or update the printer's firmware I guess?!
The Linux package is an amd64 architecture version so no arm version for the Raspi available.
And Windows I can't test (no, won't even install a virtual Windows on my Mac).

So I guess that's it.

I expect my Prusa3D i3mk3s+ printer (kit) arriving on Tuesday. So I'm not going to spend more effort into making the M3D Micro (a crappy 3D printer!) run with OctoPrint. :man_shrugging:

Well ...
One more thing ...
I found the iMe firmware from donovan6000 over at github and tried to run the M33 Manager app on my Catalina based Mac. It didn't see the connected printer. In an issue somebody fixed that and I downloaded his branch's source and tried to compile it. Turned out that M33 Manager uses wxWidgets. So I downloaded their source, compiled and installed it. Then back to M33 Manager (with the fix) and compilation now worked!
Launched M33 Manager and, indeed, it now found my M3D Micro and was able to connect and read out its color and firmware version.
I then flashed it with the iMe firmware and also made the bed position calibration.So, for the very first time in many years I heard the M3D Micro make sounds through its stepper motors.

Unfortunately, this all didn't help to make OctoPrint see the connected printer. :disappointed:
When I connected the M3D Micro back to the Raspi I now saw two new entries in the tty device list:

As you can see I set their permissions to 666 and afterwards restarted OctoPrint but it can't see those serial ports.

I'm quiet now. Maybe someone else has and idea for that ...?! (I'm very new to OctoPrint ...)