Network connection accessing a repeater

What is the problem?
pi 3b+ and pi4 cannot connect to "closer" repeater ssid but will connect to weaker signal main router ssid

What did you already try to solve it?
change priority, use multiple options (priority 1,2,3, etc.) checked names password characters, etc.

Logs (octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support!)

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible)

so I got a wavlink repeater and connects to all other devices (computer,phone, etc.) but my pi refused to connect to it. the pi's will connect to the original ssid wich is still broadcasting but it is a weak connection. any ideas. I have it optioned to connect either 2.4 or 5G. the SSID's are different names. also added the wavlink via WPS just info. thx

I think I'd do:

sudo iwlist wlan0 scan

I would verify that the Pi computers each can see the one you've added. You indicate that the SSIDs are the same... and then you indicate later that they're different. Maybe you're trying to say that the 2.4 and 5.0 zones have different SSID names.

sorry, the ssids are different. I just found out that the pi is connecting to the repeater but I must enter the ip address AND my computer must be on the same ssid. is this typical? the piname.local will not work.

meaning "piname.local" - which was set up via octopi-hostname.txt

I suppose it depends.

Windows computers don't have Bonjour/Avahi loaded by default. This would be the hostname broadcasting service which the OctoPi image uses.

Even so, it's possible that your repeater is more of a router and won't crossover broadcast traffic from one network segment to another.

The best method is to issue a static IP address in your router's DHCP server. And if necessary, edit a hosts file entry on your workstation to match this.

thanks. i think I understand what you said about the repeater not being very "smart". I just live with the poor connection to the att router and then the "local" works with my workstation. I cant set the static IP thru the repeater when I log into it. If I do this on the att router, will it pass thru the repeater if I set the pi to connect to repeater?

If you issue a static IP address at the router and then tell your workstation about it then you don't care if anything broadcasts or if anything crosses it over from one network to another. Edit your workstation's hosts file with the static information.

I will try that. thx

I set the pi device to a static IP on the main router and changed the ssid on the pi device to connect to the repeater (conf supplicant, etc). the pi device got its own IP when connected to the repeater, different to the static I set up. so I guess that did not work. I have no way of setting static ip on the wavlink repeater device. interestingly, there was no way to enter the mac address in the router so I dont know how it knew what device to set static (ipv)