Network goes down after 1.4.2 upgrade

After upgrading to 1.4.2 yesterday I seem to have issues with the networking going down within 30min of starting the PI. It seems to affect both wifi and lan, there is no ping, no web-interface, no ssh. Good thing is the printer keeps printing. And restarting solves the problem. I confirmed that I'm using the IP showed on the printer (it hasn't changed).

My OctoPI is headless, so it looks I might have to find a monitor and keyboard. Not sure what to look for, linux is not my world, and setting it all up just worked on its own :slight_smile: This seems more like an OS issue than an OctoPrint issue?

I was just wondering if anyone else has this problem since upgrading. I have been using octoprint daily for 3+ months without ever having a problem, and nothing really changed besides the upgrade.

1 Like

Update: I have no idea what is going on here, but if I unplug/plugin the LAN cable the network comes back, including the wireless. Does that make sense to anyone?

After update to 1.4.2 I had same problems you said.
Plugins weren't available cause it was saying no internet connection etc.

I made a fresh instal on new SD. WiFi is not working! Only cable.
There are some serious problem with this release

There are two people so far reporting issues with a part of OctoPi that cannot even be changed by an updated of OctoPrint (wifi is managed on the OS level, not in userspace by OctoPrint). Meanwhile 14000 people have updated to 1.4.2 and have printed around 150000 hours since then.

Hi @foosel I used 1.4.1 and then 1.4.2 by updating from 1.3.x I used weeks, but after 1.4.2 (octoprint / octopi) server couldn't connect to internet. I could download 1 plugin and then even I have list of plugin (which is coming from internet) I could not add any plugin anyway this is another story.

Finally i decided to make a fresh install 1.4.2 ui and core 0.17.0 with raspi image.
I configured correctly but no wifi connection possible, I can't even set with sudo raspi-config gives fundamental errors. (i connected with cable in order to try config)

So serious problem is in raspberry pi image (which installs a wrong OS or some parameters)
I mean issue is not how Octoprint function but OS is not accessible via WiFi (cable only)

Yes, 14000 updated and used. I'm the one of these people but a fresh start is not possible. I'm saying this sadly. If you redirect me somewhere else to post this issue I'll be just happy.
Thank you

Voila_Capture 2020-08-10_01-54-25_pm

What happens when you install OctoPi 0.17.0 and leave OctoPrint unupdated?

The error visible in your screencapture indicates a serious OS issue (or a misconfiguration of the wifi) that cannot be caused by updating a userspace program like OctoPrint. It could be a hardware fault, it could be a flaky SD card, it could be power issues, it could be a lot. But considering what an OctoPrint update actually DOES and what files it is able to modify, it is not able to cause the above unless something else is seriously broken. And no, OctoPi 0.17.0 is not generally broken either, currently at 40000 confirmed instances.

Thank you for your reply and help.
I don't want to blame anybody or OctoPrint (by the way it is very confusing OctoPi vs OctoPrint)
Let me clarify; OctoPi + OctoPrint works fine when I connect with cable. So there is no any serious think to say about it, OK.
Something has changed in OctoPi 0.17.0 release that makes WiFi connection impossible "for me".
My SD backup of OctoPi 0.15.0 is works fine.
Something is weird going on in OS level, I can't discover yet.

Not sure if this is applicable to you but I found that Wifi didn't work is LAN connected during setup.

Make sure you have a country code in the octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt file, Wifi may not work properly if the country code is wrong in newer versions.

I kept the OctoPI LAN and Wifi alive by having a constant ping (to the LAN IP) running. 5min after I stop the ping both go down and come back once I replug the cable. I am confused, but can't think this OctoPrints problem.

I'm tempted to do rpi-update or apt full-upgrade... maybe it is something on the OS... but why suddenly after the 1.4.2 upgrade?

What power supply are you using for the Pi? Inadequate power can cause the Pi's WiFi to misbehave, it could be coincidence that it happened, and the power supply is dying.

As a test, you could image a new OctoPi 0.17, that will come with OctoPrint 1.3.12, and see if the WiFi is fixed. If it is not, then it is something else.

I'm running a 2.4A Anker power supply, never had an under-voltage on it. And network goes down even when the PI is not doing anything.

So far the constant ping solves my problem, but I might make a second SD card with the original version. It seems I'm alone with this problem so it's probably my PI or Raspbian.

I don't even care about Wifi, LAN is faster anyway.

I did no WiFi but, wired connection only. When I connect via terminal and scan wifi, I see the networks around so my wifi network adaptor is functional.
I'd like to focus on the screenshot I put above. There is something wrong fundamantely that I can't go trough 2 Network Options after a fresh install. I'd be happy if someone try a fresh install on SD and go to see this menu on Raspberry Pi 2 B+
I tried 2 times on 2 different SD card result identical.
I may consider buying a new R.PI4 etc but, the point is if pi2b+ is not working (with fresh install) we should know and figure out.
I don't want to annoy the people with my problem, I just try to figure out if the problem general?
Thanks for replies :+1:

you may need a pi3 or better... on the website:

Recommended hardware: Raspberry Pi 3B, 3B+ or 4B. Expect print artifacts and long loading times with other options, especially when adding a webcam or installing third party plugins. Setups not using recommended hardware are not officially supported.

I'm having the same issue!

I'm in the same boat.

I've only ever used my printer with OctoPi and have made several prints within the last few days. Until now, operation has been flawless. Almost immediately after updating to 1.4.2 I noticed network connectivity drop (WebUI/ping/ssh). This is just a "me too" post, I'll do some troubleshooting to see if I can add anything of value.

I did perform an OS update after the anomalies started to see if that would help, it did not. Also, I was able to check connectivity from the router, also fail, so probably not HIDS on my client. It's not using firewalld and iptables are clear, so I don't think it's the firewall on the Pi either. Initiating connectivity from the Pi seems to start things flowing again, but honestly I onl had a few minutes to put towards this, I can't really say much for certain.

Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3B+
Networking: Wireless (802.11 N/G Mixed 2.4GHz)
Client: Mac Mini 2010 (MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra)

TomaCzar's problem sounds exactly like mine. Have you tried running a non-stop ping to see if it stays online?

@TomaCzar @xrmb
Have any of you been able to get a fresh version of OctoPi 0.17.0, (Backup your old one first!) to confirm if that works? OctoPrint updates shouldn't affect WiFi/wired network as that is system level, whereas OctoPrint is just installable software. If you say it has been working flawlessly until 1.4.2 upgrade, please confirm it still works on earlier versions.

This is mainly to rule out any hardware issues that may have occurred, so going back to a known point is good here.

edit: Also @sergioiker please can you post details of your setup, 'I'm having the same issue' does not mean you have the same problem, just the same symptoms.

Not only does the non-stop ping seem to keep it online, but it also seems to bring it back.

Last night from the router I ran a continuous ping against the OctoPi, which that had already fallen off the network. After a few minutes it started responding again and stayed up as long as the ping was running.

It feels like some kind of kernel level module sleep bug that I would have run into 20 years ago, but obviously thats unlikely/impossible given the attributes we do know. So weird that this is being seen on such a small number of systems.

I have the same problem!

I have used older versions of Octoprint (OctoPi) for a couple of years but decided to upgrade to the latest OctoPi image a few days ago. Now after the update everything seemed to be working fine for a while but now I'm getting Server Offline after 30 min or so. If I have a print started it does continune without issues but I cannot reach the pia via WiFi. Have not tried cable. WiFi has never been a problem before.

I'm currently not using any plugins at all since the install is almost brand new.

I was runnig 1.4.1 when I had this issue. I have now upgraded to 1.4.2 and I'm going to try it out...