New OctoPi Release: 0.17.0

Guy Sheffer has released OctoPi 0.17.0 - big thanks to him and also to everyone who helped test the release candidates and the nightly builds that went into this and reported back!

Apart from adding support for the Pi 3A+ and of course shipping with the current stable OctoPrint version 1.3.12, 0.17.0 also contains the following changes:

Changes in the image

• Raspberrypi 4B support
  • linux 4.19.75 from new base image 2019-09-26-raspbian-buster-lite
  • OctoPrint 1.3.12
  • Fix Chinese Endoscope 8mm ( #602 )
  • Bug fixes

Build notes

• Uses CustomPiOS in devel (which I release once I understand how to get the multi-arch tagged correctly)
  • Our nightly/release builds have moved to the new build server, after 6+ years of operating.

The full release notes can be found at github.

You can download OctoPi 0.17.0 from the usual place. If you are asking yourself how to update from an earlier version of OctoPi, please read on.

“How do I update?”

There is currently no way to update from earlier OctoPi versions to a new version of that image. It’s not strictly necessary though - a new image basically means that if you have to setup a new instance you’ll start at a newer version of everything bundled with the image. Anything included on the image however can also be kept up to date without having to reflash. OctoPrint will have prompted you to update itself and will continue to do so, and most of the image itself can be kept up to date like every other Raspbian image.

So no pressing need to reflash!

If you want to however, create a backup.

Confused about the difference between OctoPi and OctoPrint? Read this!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://octoprint.org/blog/2019/11/14/octopi-release-0-17-0/
4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Raspberry Pi 4 is out

hello, in order to improve the stability of octoprint, is it possible in a future version Or octopi to boot octopi on a key or USB disk?

For me the question is: why should an USB stick be more stable?

I would guess that typhoons is suggesting that a USB thumbdrive would outlive a microSD card. As long as the user leaves it in the computer then that's probably a good assertion.

One can actually boot a 3B to USB drive with no microSD whatsoever but it requires a one-time-write to the EEPROM which can't be undone.

From what I understand, the 3B+ by default allows booting straight from USB and without this do-and-die programming. I have to assume that the 4B also supports this.

There's also a hybrid installation in which the Pi boots from the DOS /boot partition on the microSD and then the ext4 partition has been moved over to the USB drive.

1 Like

I would prefer this bootloader thing

For the 3B+ and 4B, in theory it's as easy as using Etcher to flash to the USB thumbdrive. Honestly though, you'd want a keydrive-shaped one so that it's not blocking access to the other connectors.

43%20AM

I’ve got rpi4 with latest octopi 0.17.0 and Octoprint.
I have installed TouchUI and followed the TouchUI installer and it says it’s all successful. For some reason though it’s not booting to TouchUI, it just boots to terminal. Any help please!

You might try visiting sudo raspi-config, going to the Boot option and selecting the one where it boots automatically as pi into the GUI.

bonjour comment puis-je configurer une ip statique sous cette version ?

hello how can i configure a static ip under this version?

@Tam_Koowan
Usually you set the static IP within your router.

pas sur les précédente version

Je viens de configurer une adresse IP statique pour OctoPi 0.17.0 sur mon routeur et cela fonctionne sans problème.

Cependant, il peut arriver que l'adresse MAC du WiFi change au démarrage du Raspberry Pi.