No connection with Ender 5

What is the problem?

Hello Community,

I'm getting really desperate. I'm trying to connect my Creality Ender 5 to my new Octoprint instance. Without any success. I went through the installation process as normal and can access the user interface without any problems. However, when I try to connect to the printer, I always get the following error message:

Status: Offline (Error: No more candidates to test, and no working port/baudrate combination detected.)

I get this error message both when the printer is connected and when it is not connected.

What did you already try to solve it?

I've tried to rule out most sources of error. I bought an original power supply unit on the Pi and a mini USB cable with a data channel. I also tried another USB cable, without success. So it shouldn't be that.

Different ways of connection (switch on printer first, then the Pi and vice versa) did nothing.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Yes.

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No.

Complete Logs

octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support! Not log excerpts, complete logs.)

Here is an excerpt from the logs for a connection attempt.

octoprint.log:

2021-01-31 20:54:02,403 - octoprint.util.comm - INFO - Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Detecting serial connection"
2021-01-31 20:54:02,434 - octoprint.util.comm - INFO - Serial detection: Performing autodetection with 0 port/baudrate candidates: 
2021-01-31 20:54:02,435 - octoprint.util.comm - INFO - Changing monitoring state from "Detecting serial connection" to "Error: No more candidates to test, and no working port/baudrate combination detected."
2021-01-31 20:54:02,436 - octoprint.util.comm - INFO - Changing monitoring state from "Error: No more candidates to test, and no working port/baudrate combination detected." to "Offline (Error: No more candidates to test, and no working port/baudrate combination detected.)"
2021-01-31 20:54:02,490 - octoprint.plugins.action_command_notification - INFO - Notifications cleared
2021-01-31 20:54:02,657 - octoprint.plugins.tracking - INFO - Sent tracking event commerror_autodetect, payload: {'commerror_text': 'No more candidates to test, and no working port/baudrate combination detected.'}

serial.log:

2021-01-31 20:54:02,403 - Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Detecting serial connection"
2021-01-31 20:54:02,434 - Performing autodetection with 0 port/baudrate candidates: 
2021-01-31 20:54:02,435 - Changing monitoring state from "Detecting serial connection" to "Error: No more candidates to test, and no working port/baudrate combination detected."
2021-01-31 20:54:02,436 - Changing monitoring state from "Error: No more candidates to test, and no working port/baudrate combination detected." to "Offline (Error: No more candidates to test, and no working port/baudrate combination detected.)"

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

OctoPrint version: 1.5.3
OctoPi version: 0.18.0, running on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4
Printer: Creality Ender 5
Printer firmware: 1.1.6.1

One thing that struck me: A colleague of mine also has the Ender 5. However, he only bought it new and a slightly newer software version. Everything works for him. His firmware version is 1.1.6.3. Mine is, as described, 1.1.6.1. Could it be because of that? I don't even get a little reply from the printer that he's there. The error message is always the same. I don't know what to do next and got lost in other forum posts. I can't figure that out either. Please let me know if you need more information. Can someone help me?

Many greetings
Martin

Hello @parttimemonkey !

Hi,

sorry for that.
The octoprint.log is too long for one message. Should I split it up?

You can upload files in these posts.

Sometimes two cables is not enough, if you have more try as many as you can. We have had people say the 4th cable worked for them, the rest were broken. It doesn't look like the Pi is seeing any devices, so there might be something wrong with the USB ports on either side. Check and see if it connects to your PC or something else, to rule out the Pi. If you see nothing on other devices, it is probably the cable or printer mainboard. There will be a device recognised regardless of firmware.

Thanks for your reply Charlie_Powell!

Here the complete logs.

serial (6).log (609 Bytes) octoprint (1).log (152.8 KB)

I'll try my colleague's cable tomorrow (Everything works for him. So his cable definitely works.). If that doesn't work either, we can rule out the cable as a source of error.

That sounds like a solid plan, using a known cable. If it works, tell them you lost it :wink:

Hahaha, we will see :smiley:
I will let you know how the experiment went :wink:

Small update:

My colleague and I tried a few thing. As discussed on the one hand, the cable. We couldn't connect to the printer with his cable either. The cable can now definitely be excluded as a source of error. We also hung his Pi on my network and tried that. His Pi works at home with his Ender 5. Unfortunately, that didn't fix the problem either. So we now know that the problem must be with my printer. I already mentioned in the first post that we have slightly different firmware versions on our printers (mine 1.1.6.1, that of my colleague 1.1.6.3). Do you think it's because of that or is it a hardware problem?

Hi again,

I've now spent a few days installing new firmware on my printer. After countless attempts, it finally worked. Marlin 2.0.7.2 now works fine. Unfortunately, my OctoPi still cannot establish a connection. I am pretty confused now. On the one hand, after flashing a bootloader onto my mainboard, I was able to connect the printer to my PC. I could even flash the new firmware. That should actually indicate that the hardware is OK. I didn't look explicitly whether Marlin 2.0.7.2 supports Octoprint. I just assumed that. However, the connection still does not work. Do you have any ideas what else I can try to fix the problem?

From what I see here, you have tried enough experiments to eliminate everything else. I believe you have bad hardware.

Bad hardware on the side of the printer? I have a Creality 1.1.3 mainboard. Do you think an upgrade to the newer silent mainboard is worthwhile at this point?

If I understand correctly, the printer controller board is the only thing that you haven't replaced. You tried multiple cables, multiple RPi's, multiple firmware versions.

The silent mainboard would be an upgrade but its still a Creality product, and I don't have much respect for their controller hardware.

What do you think about the SKR Mini V2.0?

I don't personally have an opinion. I am fortunately completely happy with the controller board that came with my TAZ 6 printer. I would search this forum for "SKR" and see what problems and solutions others have had.

A quick search with google got me to here which has a link to github which has both hardware and firmware (Marlin 2.0.7.2) in the repository.

If I needed a controller board replacement, I think I'd give this one a try.

Thanks for your tip! I ordered the SKR Mini V2.0 together with a touchscreen upgrade a few days ago. Should get to me soon. I will report whether this solves the problem.

Hello everybody,
Today I installed the new mainboard along with the new screen in my printer. Everything went well and works great. After I tested all the functions of the printer, I tested the connection with Octoprint again. And what can I say, the new mainboard solved the problem! All Octoprint functions work perfectly. I would like to thank everyone who helped me to find the problem!

1 Like