OctoPi: ArduCAM Settings

ArduCAM B0176 5MP

Should the octopi.txt settings work with this camera?

It is working with the default settings, but I would like to adjust the settings to optimize it.

Changing "camera_raspi_options" doesn't seem to do anything.

Try it in safe mode
Maybe a plugin is affecting the settings.

Most likely it is being loaded as a USB cam then, try changing camera_usb_options instead.

Tried with the following:

Safe mode: no change

camera="auto" or "raspi" or "usb"

camera_usb_options="-r 1280x720 -f 20"

camera_raspi_options="-x 1280 -y 720 -fps 20"

Nothing changes the default resolution.

What version of OctoPi is it? You didn't provide much info in the original post for us to go by.

Could you either upload /var/webcamd.log (if it exists) or run journalctl -u webcamd if it doesn't exist.

OctoPi 0.17.0

I'm also using ArduCAM Focus, which works fine.

Tried with 1280x720 and 1296x730.

Not finding webcamd.log, journalctl -u webcamd gave me this:
webcamd.log (6.3 KB)

Thanks

The log shows that the Pi is using the USB cam settings. If you force the Pi to use the RASPI cam instead, that should solve the problem.

Do you mean at the same time off the same Pi? Or a different setup?

I got it working with these settings:

camera="raspi"
camera_raspi_options="-x 1296 -y 972 -fps 20 -quality 100 -ex auto -awb auto"

Set OctoPi to 4:3.

This gives me the resolution and ratio that I wanted.

The ArduCAM Focus plugin works for both "raspi" and "usb" mode.

Thanks

If the camera is connected to the RPis camera connector, it can't work if Octoprint is in USB mode. The plug in must be overriding the settings in your Octoprint settings file. But I've never used that plug in. Have you tired using the cam without the plug in?

Most Raspberry Pi cameras do work in USB mode, and in some cases work better. They didn't previously do this, but the video drivers have for a while supported recognising them as a UVC device so can be used that way.

But if it's connected to the Pi camera connector, why would you want to use it as a USB device? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of connecting to the camera connector and all the benefits of that? The camera connector is faster than the USB 2.0 bus on the Pi3, isn't it? Especially when the USB bus is already handling the printer connection. I mean, even if it can, should you?

It's to do with drivers. It still uses the camera connector, but MJPG Streamer can treat it as a regular USB camera. The GPU still accelerates the camera I believe, but instead of using the input_raspicam plugin, it uses input_uvc, which has the same controls as a standard USB camera. It's even recommended to setup OctoLapse.

hello I also have the arducam, and would like to optimize the camera, it seems the refresh rate is very slow.