Octopi.local works sometimes & can't find Pi IP in router config

What is the problem?
I'm new to Octopi and not great at all this backend stuff on computers. Running Pi 3 B+ and OctoPrint : 1.3.12. From US, but live in Romania (so who know's what gremlins live in the router, etc...) I can reset my router and have successfully printed once with OctoPrint. It is difficult for octopi.local to connect (have to reset router, etc. and even then it's fickle). To complicate things more I have a Mac...

What did you already try to solve it?
I've read about 100 forums for starters.
Have logged into router http://192.168.1.1 and dug through to try to locate "octopi" or anything similar to no avail. Would like to find my pi's IP address but can't seem to be able to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Logs (syslog, dmesg, ... no logs, no support)

Additional information about your network (Hardware you are trying to connect to, hardware you are trying to connect from, router, access point, used operating systems, ...)

Hello @G_Sams!

Do you connect via cable or WiFi?
If you use WiFi, check the settings you made in octopi-wpa-supplicant.txt. (WiFi setup and troubleshooting)

Do you have the chance to connect a HDMI monitor or TV to the Pi?
When it boots up correctly, it should display it's IP in the end sequence.

I connected with wifi before. Will try to connect to a tv via HDMI. Currently its printing (was connected to Octopi.local) and seems to have timed out.

Print still going but octopi.local won't load! Not sure where the data is floating around in space, but it seems inevitable that it will go sour soon!

Many network routers by default will short-lease IP addresses to DHCP clients. Many print jobs take more than a day so this really isn't always compatible if the router is trying to issue a new IP address and your browser is still trying to use the earlier information.

Short answer: it helps to issue a static IP address in your network router to the OctoPrint computer.

Found the IP address by using Ewald's tip. Seem's way more stable now without using octopi.local. Thanks for the advice.

1 Like

Name resolution hacks