OctoPi spamming webcam daemon service starting & stopping messages

What is the problem?

My octopi is spamming starting & stopping messages for "the Octopi webcam daemon with the user specified config" I'm getting anywhere from 5-30 pairs of these messages per boot.

I had been running 0.17.x, however wiped and am currently running a fresh image of 0.18.0 , with the only customization being WIFI information in octopi-wpa-supplicant.

Prior to the wipe/reimage, it had been failing to properly initialize networking 5 out of every 6 boots.

Right now, the OctoPi is running bare, with the only connected device being a BTT TFT directly attached to the board via ribbon cable.

What did you already try to solve it?

applying a fresh 0.18.0 image to SD card

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

WRITE HERE

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

WRITE HERE

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

WRITE HERE

If you don't have a camera connected, then you can disable the webcam service using sudo systemctl disable webcamd.service. It continually tests to see if there are any cameras connected if it doesn't find one.

It should do this quite infrequently, however there was a problem with the code in 0.18 that means it does it a lot. See the issue report for more details. It's since been fixed, but there's no ETA for a new image to be published. You can always get nightly builds here.

Thank you! Is there a chance that the webcam service flapping at boot time could have been occasionally interfering with the networking service properly starting?

1 Like

No idea but my gut feeling would be no.

If I read between the lines here it sounds like you're having networking issues. Is that correct? Did you find out how to resolve it? My wifi is not working and I also see these messages get spammed.

1 Like

Hi, did you resolv this issue? Thanks.

Hi mate,

I'm not 100% (it was a little while ago) sure but I think the problem was that I had picked a 5GhZ network, and when I switched to a 2.4GhZ one it started working.

The messages continued to appear but there appears to be no problem.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply.

With a camera connected, the repeated message goes away, but my actual issue was an (extreamly obvious) typo in my SSID :man_facepalming:t2: