Octopi suddenly doesn't show up, not even when plugged directly into router

Turns out I can't put multiple solutions on so I'll just say it here, both post 9 and 17 were the solution.

1 Like

I'm not sure if that tool preserves the file attributes and that could maybe cause trouble when you copy a whole file back on your new system.
You could either open the config files on the new system via ssh and an editor like nano and just copy the whole text from a to b or copy the files on a linux system with cp -rp /home/my_home /media/backup/my_home which should preserve the file attributes.
I guess there should be no problem in backing up other things like timelapses your way.

Hmm in that case I think I'll go the usb bootable linux path, thanks again and perfect timing I was just about to format the SD card

1 Like

I haven't tried it but I would do it this way:
Boot the live linux, get onother usb drive and format it to ext4, mount it and the sdcard, copy the .octoprint folder with the command obove to the usb drive, put the new image on your sdcard, start the pi, put your usb drive in, mount it, delete the new .octoprint folder and copy the old folder back with the command.

Fingers crossed :smiley:

1 Like

I accidentally formatted the micro sd in linux while trying to format the sd card :joy:

Linux is quite confusing for me. But ultimately something weird happened which made it possible for me to copy files from windows.

Basically right after I installed the image using etcher windows was able to open and edit the EXT4 partition (glitch?) but I was able to restore the settings through there and now in the console it seems as though some settings have been restored.

The calibration values on the M92 command are still there, or are they printer-side?

:smiley:

Yeah the M92 command is saved in eeprom on your printer :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry to jump in here like this but when you say destroy something on the SD card do you mean corrupt a file or physically / permanently damage the SD?

1 Like

We hope he just messed up his filesystem and/or corrupted a file that is essential for booting and everything works again after he flashed a new image

I haven't had a chance to print yet, but everything seems to be functioning well.

1 Like

I disconnected and reconnected the raspberry pi

I believe sometimes time you reset it create a New IP address, ( usually just the last number),this address may some times be found under your router connection settings, links to the router

Re-reading all this, the original poster indicates that he's tried the Edge browser. We may then assume Windows (which doesn't have the Bonjour name resolution service added). Maybe this is just simply a problem of arp caching, name resolution and the limitations of Windows.

OctoPrint Name Resolution Hacks

This is what I initially suspected as well (as it had happened before) however it wasn’t in the router devices list at all at the time. Ultimately, it was fixed by reinstalling octoprint

His ethernet port didn't show any connection, the activity led didn't light up and there was no hdmi signal.
I think it's safe to say the pi didn't boot :wink:

1 Like