Octoprint, 3B+ and XRDP Desktop

What is the problem?
I have Octoprint Stretch Lite image installed on a 32gb SD card. Everything is fine, other than getting to a desktop - I want to double up the usage of the PI to set up a VPN using my real VPN provider details so I can connect to the RPI from a PS4i n the living room - the VPN part, I
I cannot see a desktop after the Xorg login via XRDP

What did you already try to solve it?
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo reboot
sudo apt upgrade dist
sudo apt install raspberrypi-ui-mods
sudo reboot

Logs (syslog, dmesg, ...)

Additional information about your network (Hardware you are trying to connect to, hardware you are trying to connect from, router, access point, used operating systems, ...)
Connecting to octoprint through Win10. Can SSH to RPI and can also run the Octoprint app via webpage and IP address.

The Lite version of Raspbian does not include the Desktop (GUI, X11 graphical interface). Install this with sudo ~/scripts/install-desktop.

By the way, you want to be careful with update-dist since trying this with the OctoPi 0.16.0 image, for example, will throw Raspbian Buster on there and presumably break OctoPrint at the moment.

Once you have the Desktop installed, go back in and run sudo raspi-config under Interfacing options and turn on VNC. At this point, you might be able to VNC into it...

But if you're on macOS, you'll next need to configure the VNC server.

• sudo nano /root/.vnc/config.d/vncserver-x11
Authentication=VncAuth
EnableAnalytics=0
Encryption=AlwaysOff
  • sudo vncpasswd -service # Set the VNC password for the service here

What version of OctoPi did you start with? I have XRDP working on 0.14.0 and 0.15.1 on a RPi3B and an RPi3B+. Unfortunately, I didn't take good notes when I did it so I don't remember how, lol.