Octoprint and Dynomotion/Kflop/Knozz

Hi, in the process of building a 3d printer. I will be using Kmotion and Knozz from Dynomotion running on windows to control the print head movement, temp, and extruder. I have experience using these drivers on cnc machines so this route of controlling movement makes most sense to me.

https://dynomotion.com/KFLOP.html
https://dynomotion.com/KNozz.html

Does anyone here know if Octoprint and Raspberry would be compatible?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi!
This seems a CNC dedicated controller. These usually are not Marlin or Repetier compatible. The CPU (TMS320C67) is not supported.One of these firmware is needed for a proper work with OctoPrint. - Sorry

Marlin-supported boards
Repetier-supported boards

Probably the Smoothieboard is the one you want for CNC with OctoPrint with foosel's own page on it.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.

-Yes Ewald, this is a dedicated CNC controller. Would be great to be able to get the functionality of octoprint, off site monitoring with a big red STOP button is all I am looking for. I can look at tool paths elsewhere.
-I'll take a look at Smoothieboard. Thx.

1 Like

I wonder...
If I had the Raspberry Pi running something like Octoprint hooked up to to a small camera and had that set up to monitor on a smart phone, there might be a way to send a 5v signal to my cnc controller from the Pi to stop operations.

Personally, I would do a Raspberry Pi 3B with shielded serial cable to the Smoothieboard. I would wire a "big red button" up to a pair of GPIO pins on the Smoothieboard to stop the drill (or simply to move it up 10mm) and a "big yellow button" on a pair of GPIO pins on the Raspbery Pi to pause the print job.

Having done a fair bit of CNC work myself, I'd be wary of any delays in pausing the job. OctoPrint pushes many commands through the serial before they're actually run by the controller board. Stopping or Pausing in OctoPrint sees a fair delay many times and this is highly dangerous in a CNC rig.

THx. OSG for the suggestion-

The only time I see pressing the big red button would be when things have already gone bad. I am looking at this for use with a diy 3d printer but if it works I would do the the same thing with a cnc router. Just a way to let things work while I am away. If I see that something has gone wrong I can have the machine stop, turn heated bed off, hot end off, extruder off, go to x,y,z position, make coffee etc.

Wouldn't the Pi be able to put out a 5v signal without the need for an additional board? I really just need a way to trigger something in the cnc controller where all the heavy lifting will take place.

I think I need to be clear about what I am looking for.

I am after the video monitoring and remote control but on the most basic of levels. Simply being able to have the Pi send out a signal when I tell it to by using the interface on my phone ...If I can run into town for a dinner and look at my phone to see that my print is going as planned that would be incredible!

There is likely a way to do this with something other than Octoprint but this seems like a fairly well developed program and designed to handle these specific instances:

-Monitor remotely, on a smart phone, the progress of a print routine
-send a command to the Pi from my remote location
-have the Pi do something-(Send out a 5v or 3v signal)

Thanks again!

Keep in mind that your private network at home is private and not usually available from the cloud. There have been several people who have port-forwarded OctoPrint to the Internet and I'm in a mode now to educate everyone that this isn't a good idea.

I've added a new thread in the Get Help -> Guides section for remotely controlling/monitoring OctoPrint safely which would be useful here.

Yes, the Raspberry can dish up 5V. Most of the data logic is at a 3.3V level on this, however. It's better for closing a switch/relay which has its own source power.

Yes, 3.3 v!
I looked at the Get Help section you referenced. It looks like that is set up for computer to computer. Will this work with an iphone or am I being overly optimistic?

Thx.

An iPhone at home (or otherwise on the same private network) is easy enough. Again, if you're not at home then you're back to the cloud->internal problem.

Read the Guide and look at the VPN option. iPhones support that and if you have an endpoint in your private network then your phone can be as if it's at home.

thx.
I'll head over there.