OctoPrint and Webmin

What is the problem?

Wanting to know if it is recommended or discouraged to use Webmin to manage OctoPrint, especially for updates to the OS?

What did you already try to solve it?

On a previous version of OctoPrint, I did do this, but this morning OctoPrint was completely unresponsive (150% CPU usage, as soon as OctoPrint was loaded). I have reloaded OctoPrint from the beginning, but I want to avoid causing the same issue again. On a fresh install, Webmin shows (yes, I loaded it already, but have done nothing with any management yet) 158 package updates to the OS.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Safe Mode made no difference on CPU usage

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No

Systeminfo Bundle

You can download this in OctoPrint's System Information dialog ... no bundle, no support!)

I don't have it - I already reloaded the Pi

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

Latest, but with minimal plugins so far. Dashboard - ArduCamFocus - ABL - Z Offset - Resource Monitor

I do have both of them installed on my pi3b. But never made any connection between them. What do you do when you control OctoPrint through webmin?

Mainly, like this morning, I was able to see a lot of system info. It also allows you to update the os. After I reloaded this morning, I was able to transfer all the printed gcode files back in to the files folder. If I were paying attention, I would have also had a backup of certain configuration filled that I could have restored.

It's just another means of admin, no way to control octoprint that I am aware of.

Yes, admin software that gives a graphic ui for tasks like user / group management or creating cron jobs. (I mention these as that's what I use it for, mostly)
It can do many other admin tasks.
As it is written in perl while OctoPrint is python they don't have many points of contact or possible conflict.
On the other hand I see no obvious reason to recommend installing webmin and use it for sys administration on a typical octopi/OctoPrint print host.

So when you write that you saw OctoPrint running on 150% cpu then I think it is an interesting question why that is happening but I see no obvious connection to having webmin on the box.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.