Octoprint down, can't find logs

Hey all, I have an Octopi raspberry pi server running octoprint, and for a long time now it's been working great, no issues.

Just this last weekend though, for no apparent reason, it went down, and I can't access the web interface anymore.

I can connect to the Pi just fine with SSH, but I can't seem to find any logs, and i'm not sure the folder structure is making sense based on what i'm seeing on the help and on other topics.

When I go to the home directory, the main folders are what i'd expect:

mjpg-streamer, OctoPrint, oprint, scripts

But going into the OctoPrint folder, all that's in there is apparently a Readme text file. No logs, nothing else. Everything looks like it's there in the oprint folder, but i'm getting the feeling that the OctoPrint folder shouldn't just be empty like that.

Did something terrible happen to my server? Or did I just make a mistake in setup that for some reason only has revealed itself now?

I'm running OctoPi version 0.15.1, and Octoprint 1.3.10, and when it was working I was running my Prusa Mk3 from it.

Thanks for any advice or help.

The logs and configuration are in a folder named “.octoprint”. Notice the dot before octoprint. This makes the folder “hidden” on linuxes. You can see it if you do “ls -a” instead of just “ls”.

3 Likes

Ahh that was definitely it, that took me way too long to figure out, thanks.

Now that I have the logs, something is definitely causing it to fail on boot up.

File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/tornado/gen.py", line 99, in <module>
    from singledispatch import singledispatch  # backport
ImportError: cannot import name singledispatch
2019-07-05 07:02:29,849 - octoprint.plugin.core - INFO - Found 10 plugin(s) providing 7 mixin implementations, 6 hook handlers
2019-07-05 07:02:29,851 - octoprint.startup - CRITICAL - Could not initialize environment detector: Non-ASCII character '\xc4' in file /home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/environment.py on line 2, but no encoding declared; see http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0263/ for details (environment.py, line 1)
2019-07-05 07:02:29,851 - octoprint.startup - CRITICAL - There was a fatal error starting up OctoPrint.

That's the end of the logs, i'll attach the whole thing here.

Does this make more sense to anyone else? It won't even boot up in safe mode, which i think rules out a bad plugin, but not totally sure.

octoprint.log (96.1 KB)

This looks like a symptom of a corrupted filesystem/sd-card. You could try repairing the mentioned files, but chances are there are other bits corrupted on your sd-card too.

What would you recommend, would reformatting the card and reinstalling everything fix that, or should I just replace the whole SD card?

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Format the sd-card by fully erasing it (ie: no quick format). That should at least try to clear the whole drive, informing you of any bad/broken “sectors”. But if in doubt, replace the card.

Re-installed everything on a new card and got it up and running again, thanks!

1 Like