Octoprint hanging on print "Starting..."

I just installed Octolapse today and went through all the getting started guides. By all accounts, the webcam and such is detected and working. I also do not have Test Print enabled in Octolapse settings.

When the Octolapse plugin is enabled, whether Test Print is enabled or not, the logs seem to report that Octolapse is processing the gcode and finding the best timelapse plan and then it just stops. Which is what I'm actually seeing. The bed and the extruder never heat up, and it never starts printing.

If I disable the plugin entirely, the bed will heat and it will print as usual. I can't see any errors. It's just simply not doing anything.

Attached is the Octolapse log of me trying to start a print. Waiting a few minutes and manually canceling a few times.
plugin_octolapse (3).log (2.7 MB)

Tiny bit of log from the terminal when I hit Start:

Send: M105
Recv: ok T:23.0 /0.0 B:23.1 /0.0 T0:23.0 /0.0 @:0 B@:0 P:22.9 A:28.3
Changing monitoring state from "Operational" to "Starting"
Send: N666 M73 P0*81
Recv: NORMAL MODE: Percent done: 0; print time remaining in mins: -1
Recv: SILENT MODE: Percent done: 255; print time remaining in mins: -1
Recv: ok
Send: N667 M73 P0*80
Recv: NORMAL MODE: Percent done: 0; print time remaining in mins: -1
Recv: SILENT MODE: Percent done: 255; print time remaining in mins: -1
Recv: ok
Send: N668 M105*47
Recv: ok T:22.8 /0.0 B:23.0 /0.0 T0:22.8 /0.0 @:0 B@:0 P:22.7 A:28.8
Send: N669 M105*46
Recv: ok T:22.7 /0.0 B:23.2 /0.0 T0:22.7 /0.0 @:0 B@:0 P:22.8 A:29.1

Raspberry Pi 4B, OctoPrint 1.4.2, Python 2.7.16, OctoPi 0.18.0, Prusa MK3, Chrome, Windows

1 Like

I'm having a very similar issue. I can heat the bed and nozzle, move through all axis via the control panel and I can run bed visualization. When I send a print, the status goes to "printing" then nothing happens. The bed and nozzle do not heat up and the print never really starts.

Pi4 8gb, Prusa MK3/S, Prusa Slicer, Beta 64bit OctoPi build.

Logs. We need logs. No logs, no way to know what is going on.

Have you tried disabling OctoLapse? Does the print start ok with OctoLapse disabled?

I disabled OctoLapse last week. No changes. I will see if I can find the logs. I haven't played with Linux in a very long time so I need a mental refresh.

Pssst... the word logs is a link... you can click on it and it will lead you to a post that explains you all you need to know about where to find what logs. Groovy, eh?

1 Like

Thanks. I will post logs once this print finishes.

I got the print to run once I confirmed OctoLapse was disabled.

@digitalmoto, what OS are you running OctoPrint on? I've been working on an issue with a custom c++ extension where it doesn't compile correctly for some OSs. You may have run into this. The problem appears to be that the 'snapshot plan', which Octolapse uses to determine when to take snapshots, is not correctly transferred back to Python (lots of null values). I looked at your log, and I think this is probably the issue since the external call completes and reports snapshots back to Python, but then fails when trying to unpack the results.

Kernel: Linux 5.4.59-v8+

OctoPrint Version : 1.4.2
OctoPi Version : 0.18.0

octoprint.log (2.9 MB) plugin_octolapse.log (8.8 KB)

I'm having the same issue.

Mac OS Catalina
Ender 3 Pro
Octoprint 1.4.2
Octolapse 0.4.0

plugin_octolapse.log
octoprint.log
settings.json.zip
xyzCalibration_cube.gcode.zip

Thank you. This is a very difficult issue to debug, but I'm working on it :slight_smile:

Okay. I'm finally back with all the logs I could find. Hope it helps.

haproxy.log (42.3 KB)
octoprint.log (10.7 KB)
plugin_firmwareupdater_console.log (63.1 KB)
plugin_octolapse (4).log (838.3 KB)
syslog.log (70.4 KB)

Was this issue ever resolved?
These are my log files and I am having the same issues.

The print says "Starting" but doesn't do anything after that. I also never actually see the Snapshot Plan Preview window.

octoprint.log (135.7 KB) plugin_octolapse.log (18.4 KB)

This is not yet resolved. My suspicion thus far is that whatever c++ compiler is creating the Octolapse python extension is not behaving like the compilers I've used in Windows and on the Raspberry pi. I've not had a lot of success thus far figuring out what's going on, but I'm still working on it.

Hi @FormerLurker, I am sure you probably already knew this but this issue is tied to the fact that the RPi 4 is in use. Octolapse is running smoothly on my RPi 3B+ setup.

Thank you,
Rajan

FYI, I had the same issue and bypassed it by turning off the "Snapshot Plan Preview" checkbox. :slight_smile:

Hmm, nevermind. I now get "An unexpected error was encountered while running the timelapse snapshot procedure. " on every layer change. Cura's configured properly, it was working fine and I did capture a few timelapses before I switched to the Octopi 0.18 (beta) build instead of the raspbian build where I installed everything manually.

From the logs..
2020-10-22 16:22:50,053 - octolapse.timelapse - ERROR - Failed to take a snapshot for the provided snapshot plan.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.7/site-packages/octoprint_octolapse/timelapse.py", line 409, in _take_timelapse_snapshot_precalculated
    self._trigger_profile.get_snapshot_plan_options()
  File "/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.7/site-packages/octoprint_octolapse/stabilization_gcode.py", line 1107, in create_gcode_for_snapshot_plan
    snapshot_plan, g90_influences_extruder, options
  File "/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.7/site-packages/octoprint_octolapse/stabilization_gcode.py", line 363, in initialize_for_snapshot_plan_processing
    self.distance_to_lift = snapshot_plan.initial_position.distance_to_zlift(self.z_lift_height)
  File "/home/pi/oprint/lib/python3.7/site-packages/octoprint_octolapse/gcode_processor.py", line 515, in distance_to_zlift
    if amount_to_lift < utility.FLOAT_MATH_EQUALITY_RANGE:
TypeError: '<' not supported between instances of 'NoneType' and 'float'

I'm finding that to be the case as well. This issue is only happening with the RPi4.

@FormerLurker, I've had some success... albeit by accident. I was setting up a new RPi 4 with OctoPrint 1.4.2 and a generic USB webcam and OctoPi 0.17.0 I installed Octolapse from the plugins option in OctoPrint and verified that Octolapse version is 0.4.0

I didn't do anything special and its working with my Artillery Sidewinder X1 v4
My other setup that has the issue, only differences is that its running Octopi version 0.18.0
and connected to a Creality Ender 5 Pro.

Thought you would want to know.
Let me know if there is anything I can post that might help you track down the issue.