Octoprint loses connection after filament runout

What is the problem?

Octoprint loses connection to the machine after print pauses due to filament runout. Did not have this issue before, only after switching to smart filament sensor (connected to mainboard)
Error; "Too many consecutive timeouts, printer still connected and alive?"

What did you already try to solve it?

Verify working of filament sensor via M119. Replacing USB cable.

Have you tried running in safe mode?

Yes

Did running in safe mode solve the problem?

No

Systeminfo Bundle

octoprint-systeminfo-20230220001319.zip (59.9 KB)

Additional information about your setup

Mainboard; BTT octopus V1.1 / Screen; BTT TFT35 V2.0 / Raspberry Pi 4 model B 4gb / Marlin version 2.1.2

does the cable of the sensor run close to a stepper motor?

1 Like

Hi,
No not at all. i've tested further and found that both filament sensors function correctly. Both worked perfectly when printing directly on the printer.
Also; the M600 procedure runs fine when I send the M600 from octoprint.

Therefore I think the solution is to run the sensors via the pi, However, I cannot find a plugin that support 2 smart filament sensors.

Any suggestions?

Also, both #define HOST_KEEPALIVE_FEATURE" and "#define HOST_ACTION_COMMANDS" are enables.

If the desired reaction to both sensors is the same, you should be able to run the 2 sensors in parallel(if open when not tripped) or series(if closed when not tripped).

Yeah I know, I have had this before. However the issue still persist, and I would like to have 2 independent sensors

It seems you have an issue with the PSU:

2023-02-19 22:51:17,569 - octoprint.plugins.pi_support - WARNING - This Raspberry Pi is reporting problems that might lead to bad performance or errors caused by overheating or insufficient power.
!!! UNDERVOLTAGE REPORTED !!! Make sure that the power supply and power cable are capable of supplying enough voltage and current to your Pi.

You however should check the surrounding of the printer and the Pi for EMI sources.

I can't find the Octoprint-Smart-Filament-Sensor in the octoprint.log.

And please avoid restarting the Pi by power cycling it:

2023-02-19 21:24:12,494 - octoprint.server.heartbeat - INFO - Server heartbeat <3
2023-02-19 21:24:25,396 - octoprint.plugins.tracking - INFO - Sent tracking event ping, payload: {'octoprint_uptime': 860415, 'printer_state': 'OFFLINE'}
2023-02-19 21:17:07,280 - octoprint.startup - INFO - ******************************************************************************
2023-02-19 21:17:07,282 - octoprint.startup - INFO - Starting OctoPrint 1.8.6
2023-02-19 21:17:07,286 - octoprint.startup - INFO - ******************************************************************************

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.