OctoPrint not emptying the watched folder

Are there any restrictions on file naming when using the watched folder. I am finding that some files are not moved to the OctoPrint files are but are just left in the watched folder.

My setup is...

• Raspberry Pi 3B
  • OctoPrint 1.3.6 - Prusa edition but working via the USB port on the printer
  • Prusa i3 Mk3 printer

Otherwise the setup is working well.

Chris Morgan

I'm no expert on the watched folder, but are you sending only STL or Gcode files?

Hi John,

I'm sending .gcode files that print correctly when I load them from an SD card.

Chris

I'd like to recycle that topic as I have the same or at least a very similar problem:

If I create a .gcode file (via Slic3r -> Export gcode or simply by creating a txt-file and renaming it), Octoprint will not pick up that file.

When I copy a file into the watched folder, for example by ctrl+c/ctrl-v that very same file, Octoprint will pick up?!

My setup:
raspi 3b+
Prusa mk3
octoprint 1.3.9

I followed the guide at https://github.com/guysoft/OctoPi/issues/138 in all variations. I checked "Active polling".

Any ideas on how to fix this? Or some idea for a workaround?

Thanks a lot

Did you find a fix for this as Im on the latest and nothing happens when I put a file in the watched folder via Samba

I didn't fix it and gave up on it - after I had found a more elegant solution for me: In Slic3r (and I guess in other slicer software as well) there is an option to send the generated gcode directly to the printer/octopi setup.

In Sclic3r enter your octoprint's data (which you can find in octoprint/settings/API) in the printer setup tab->print host upload. Now if you click on "Send to printer" (next to "export gcode") the file will appear directly in the octoprint file-list.

I hope it will work for you, too!

2 Likes

I believe I'm having the same issue. The strange thing is that it works perfectly using Prusa Control, but not with Slic3R Prusa edition. If I manually upload the Slic3R .Gcode files they print fine, but when I use the export gcode option from Slic3r to the same network/printer/watched folder that works for Prusa control these files just sit there. I've tried simplifying the file name to remove any special characters with no effect. Perhaps some meta data is different between the two software?

It's possible that one of the softwares builds the file in-place in the folder and the other one builds it into a tmp folder somewhere and then copies it when done.

Looking at the OctoPrint code for a moment, there appears to be some code at the bottom there that tries to see if the file is still growing in size.

self._logger.debug("File at {} is no longer growing, counting down: {}".format(path, countdown))

Try turning on debug logging and see if you get anything different in the log from either software.