OctoPrint not using the Z Offset

### What is the problem?

Any prints that are started from OctoPrint are not using the Z Offset.

### What did you already try to solve it?

I searched online for solutions as to why OctoPrint was not using the offset and there were a lot of reasons, but none made sense for my case.

### Additional information about your setup

Ender 3 Pro with v 1.1.15 silent board
Installed BL Touch according to Creality, I flashed the firmware that they said to ( (2019.11.13)Ender-3 Pro1.1.6BLTouchV3.1PowerLossContinueEnglish.hex) and preformed the platform adjustment, setting the Z Offset.

I am using a very vanilla install of OctoPrint, and from what I read OctoPrint is supposed to use the Z Offset value which is saved in the EEPROM.

I installed the EEPROM Editor plugin and from there I can see the correct value.

I took 3 different print gcode's that would not print properly in OctoPrint and copied them to the sd card. They printed simply fine from the sd card. So, at this point I am not sure where the issue is, there are so many different things about this issue that I'm not sure what is the correct thing to try.

OctoPrint Version: 1.5.3
OctoPi Version: 0.17.0, running on Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1

System Information:
connectivity.connection_check: 8.8.8.8:53
connectivity.connection_ok: true
connectivity.enabled: true
connectivity.online: true
connectivity.resolution_check: octoprint.org
connectivity.resolution_ok: true
env.hardware.cores: 4
env.hardware.freq: 900
env.hardware.ram: 915726336
env.os.bits: 32
env.os.id: linux
env.os.platform: linux2
env.plugins.pi_support.model: Raspberry Pi 2 Model B Rev 1.1
env.plugins.pi_support.octopi_version: 0.17.0
env.plugins.pi_support.throttle_state: 0x0
env.python.pip: 19.3.1
env.python.version: 2.7.16
env.python.virtualenv: true
octoprint.safe_mode: false
octoprint.version: 1.5.3
printer.firmware: Marlin Creality 3D

Thanks,

Matt

Hello @Mroell!

Have you seen this:

and this:

from here:

https://community.octoprint.org/search?q=z-offset

1 Like

I read through it all and spent a few hours trying different firmware, https://www.danbp.org/p/en/node/136 I was trying to install 1.1.9.1+ Bugfix + BLTouch for Ender 3 (Aug 3rd, 2020) which is the recommended firmware. I couldn't get it to install. So in the end I'm still using the firmware that came with. I reset up the z offset and it's doing the same thing.

I may well be wrong but a quick look at the page you referenced suggests that the firmware he's compiled is for Ender3 whereas you said you had an EnderPro with a silent board, are the compatible?

I'm surprised that OctoPrint would use the Z value, surely it just send the GCode you specify and the printer adds or subtracts the Z value to any Z move.

BTW I suggest you read the comments.

Hi Towlerg,

In the comments (There are a few hundred comments) on that page people have flashed it with board v 1.1.15 (silent board). On Ender's website they list that the firmware is for Ender-3(Pro)/Ender-5(pro)/CR-10/Ender 3v2 but regardless of that OctoPrint should just send the GCode like your saying to the printer and it does everything else and that's where it I'm at a loss as to why it's not doing that.

So I'm not sure what was going on here, but I'm back to using the firmware from Creality and I reloaded Octopi for a different reason and so far after two prints it's working as expected.