Octoprint on a pi4 8gb

I dont have usage exmples. I was in a hurry to get the online order done and checked the wrong box.....hence 8gb.

Seems to work apart from the resource monitor plugin not showing any data. Anyone know where that plugin normally gets the data from or where it configures the data endpoints it pulls from? Shouldn't be too hard to make the plugin compatible I would guess.

I was trying to follow along guides to do the multi-Instance configuration. In 0.17 there is a octoprint config file in default and there is another one I can't recall right now that we're not there in this version.

For now I plugged into a smaller pi4. Did an update on the image then put it back into the 8gb version that did let me get the 0.17 running and the multi instance worked. It's not perfect but that was the intent of buying one this big was to do the multi instance.

I think there are some plug in incompatibilities in 18.1 beta. Try safe mode. For me it is working and one day I need to one by uninstall and find the offending plugin(s).

Resource monitor was fixed in a recent update. It's the top bar SOC temp I don't get anymore.

Hi to all,

this image can wok on Raspberry Pi 4 with only 2GB of Ram ?
Thanks

It probably could, but the Raspberry Pi foundation beta it is based of has a few issues, so don't bother with it. The latest release of OctoPi supports the Pi4 2GB, find it below :point_down:

I am not showing any data, the graph spaces are white and no other percentages are shown either. Resource monitor is v0.2.5, OctoPrint : 1.4.2

Should there be an update?

Hey all,
First official OctoPi nightly build for arm64 bit is out:
https://storage.googleapis.com/octoprint/2020-09-29_2020-08-20-octopi-raspios_lite_arm64-buster-arm64-lite-0.18.0.zip
md5: c4dcc6250effc2f38a1e1483ec0b7b7c

The nightly page does not show it yet because I need to fix the naming and other stuff. But it for now it builds.

2 Likes

Did you put anything 64bit related in the version string?
I put it in my 0.18.1 beta so @foosel is able to distinguish it in the usage stats.

No, and I don't intend to.
We could have another string related to the architecture However a release of all architectures should be under the same version number.
Also, if you remember anything else, please be clear what you did change if you have any other input, because for example, I had to find out myself that checkinstall is non-existent in the arm64 builds.

yeah iirc that was the reason I added buster-backports in the sources.

full ack - but that wasn't what I meant. I used the 0.18.1 version just so people knew it was a newer build than the 0.18.0 version.
what I meant was I put something like 0.18.1 -arm64-beta in the version string.
back then I had to figure out how to build lite images with the pi-gen but they updated that branch shortly after I did it.

The architecture is in the zip file name, arm64 and armf. But not in the image itself.

Considering that with 0.18 we are now potentially looking at multiple architectures, I'd prefer if we could encode that in the version number that's pushed into /etc/octopi_version, as that is what OctoPrint will display in the lower left corner and also log, and it will probably be very important to know in future support scenarios.

I can imagine support requests where a user has a problem which can only be reproduced under 64bit and no one knows because they can't tell us they flashed 64bit (and trust me, they usually don't know themselves, hence visible version numbers in the first place).

1 Like

I've yet to have my Prusa arrive, but figured I'd get my Raspberry Pi all set up. Did what many have done and bought the version 4B 8GB without thinking that it would be an issue. The kit I bought came pre-loaded with Raspbian-Buster. I found this thread after having already ordered that so was thinking I'd have issues.

While I did get a few minor annoyances while setting it all up following this guide (mostly because when running from the Raspbian desktop it bizarrely doesn't see the Octoprint service, while using SSH from my desktop will start the server just fine) I seem to have got it working. I can go to the Octoprint server website from my laptops desktop and from the Pi just fine although admittedly it's not attached to the printer yet (as that has yet to arrive).

The main thing that worries me currently is that 1.4.2 Octoprint installed with that guide installed Python 2.7 and it tells me Pip will cease supporting that in Jan 2021. Did I do something wrong? Anyone got a handy guide on what I should do next?

If it is not supported it does not mean it will just stop working, just that it will not get any updates.

I do have a solution for you:

1 Like

Thank you, however I did a manual install of OctoPrint on Raspbian using the guide I linked and it seems the script just doesn't recognize the venv path. EDIT: Ahh I think I found the documentation for this...

If you have any other issues with it, please post them in the right place (linked under the post) since I monitor them more closely.

1 Like

Nightly builds now available on the nightly page of OctoPi

1 Like

Would help to add the link :stuck_out_tongue:

https://gnethomelinux.com/OctoPi/nightly/#arm64

1 Like