Octoprint on Windows 10 with Objet Printer

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I recently discovered Octoprint. I've been trying to use it at work since they have an Objet 260 Connex 3 printer. It's a huge 3d printer.

What is the problem?
I went through the tutorial on installing it on Windows and it seems like it's working fine. But now that I'm trying to connect a printer to the computer, it seems like maybe it's not recognizing the printer or it's just not getting a connection.

What did you already try to solve it?
I tried changing the baud rate since I've seen other posts saying it could be that. No luck with it. I'm starting to think the printer itself is not compatible with Octoprint.

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab, ...)

Octoprint ver: 1.3.10
Printer: Objet 260 Connex 3
Not sure on the firmware.
Here's a part of the terminal on Octoprint.

Preformatted text
Connecting to: COM3
Changing monitoring state from "Detecting serial port" to "Opening serial port"
Connected to: Serial<id=0x94f7450, open=True>(port='COM3', baudrate=57600, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Changing monitoring state from "Opening serial port" to "Connecting"
Send: N0 M110 N0125
There was a timeout while trying to connect to the printer
Changing monitoring state from "Connecting" to "Offline"
Connection closed, closing down monitor
Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Detecting serial port"
Serial port list: [u'COM3']
Connected to: Serial<id=0x94001f0, open=True>(port='COM3', baudrate=9600, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Send: N0 M110 N0
Changing monitoring state from "Offline" to "Opening serial port"
Connected to: Serial<id=0x9413630, open=True>(port='COM3', baudrate=9600, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Connected to: Serial<id=0x94e5710, open=True>(port='COM3', baudrate=9600, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Connected to: Serial<id=0x9603890, open=True>(port='COM3', baudrate=19200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Connected to: Serial<id=0x94fab10, open=True>(port='COM3', baudrate=38400, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Connected to: Serial<id=0x98161f0, open=True>(port='COM3', baudrate=115200, bytesize=8, parity='N', stopbits=1, timeout=10.0, xonxoff=False, rtscts=False, dsrdtr=False), starting monitor
Send: N0 M110 N0*125

If anyone has any idea what could be wrong, it would be great help. Also, is there a specific usb cable that I need to use or one that's recommended? I'm just using a male to male usb transfer cable that goes from the laptop to the onboard computer on the printer.

Thanks

What looks the cable you use looks like?

A:

B:

Are you suggesting that you're using a Type A plug to Type A plug sort of cable? It probably should be something more like a Type A plug to Type B plug.

I'm guessing that a USB Type A -> Type A Transfer cable may have the TX/RC swapped but perhaps not.

For the money you paid, I'm surprised that they didn't throw in a really good-quality cable for this.

Have you read the manual for your printer? There's nothing about "serial" or "COM" throughout. They seem to suggest that it connects via the network. It's all setup so that multiple workstations can print to it.

B. I haven't tried A yet. I could take a look to see if that works.

I have looked at it and I couldn't find anything related to cables or even the baud rate. It does have an onboard computer that communicates with another one to do print jobs so maybe i need to look into that.

If you use the cable from pic "B" so likely your printer has no USB-connector that can be used to connct another computer.
This type of connection is meant for connecting a mouse / keyboard / memory stick / etc.

I'm very sure that has a proprietary interface (if it has an interface at all), especially considering the price class. Not something that you can use with OctoPrint I fear.

1 Like

Yes, it's huge: Objet 260 Connex 3

And referring to the second page, it seems that there is no USB connectivity.
It's not a FDM printer.

1 Like

It does have its own interface which I have not looked at since I'm very limited to using this printer as only certain people are allowed to use it. I was just trying to initially get a camera in there to stream the jobs that it was printing since my supervisor wanted a way to be able to watch what was happening remotely (apparently they have a bunch of issues with the printer itself and want to monitor it in case of problems). But if that's the case then I will try to see if I can get permission to use it's own software are see what it's capable of. Thanks for the quick replies!

Personally, I have two cameras setup on my printer. Feel free to use a Raspberry Pi Zero W as a dedicated webcam server and monitor it from http://hostname.local:8080/?action=stream as described.

1 Like

If you want to just monitor the printer and be able to shut it down I use an IP camera with a dedicated app to watch jobs away from the office. I can turn of the entire printer with a smart plug from OSRAM. It is not DIY but it is super fast to set up.

1 Like