Octoprint plugin to arduino port USB

Hello everyone, and I thank you right away for your help.
I installed OctoPrint on an old pc with WINDOWS. I was able to load several plug-ins and get my Tronxy X5Sa recognized (although I still have problems getting it printed correctly ... but this is another problem that I will solve later). Now I was curious to know if there was already a plugin that inserts a button on the octoprimt page with which I can send text characters to an ARDUINO listening on the USB port (com1, or com2 one of the free ones not occupied by printers). All this because with this type of installation I can't use the GPIO plugin. Other plugins that I could fall back on my situation on GUTHUB I have not found them (surely I am lazy and I have not tried well). I am evaluating if all the time to try I spent it writing two lines of thigh for a personalized pligin maybe it was more useful to me. Thanks to all of you and your experience that you will find useful to make available

Raspberry Pi 3B computers are reasonably inexpensive these days and they have GPIO pins. An added benefit is that you could pay for the electricity to run a Pi for a year and that would be perhaps $5 versus the $120 for that PC computer.

You could attach something via USB cable to your computer in gadget mode which can be talked to so that you could use its GPIO pins... but I think I'd only do this perhaps for the bragging rights or the oddness of it rather than for the practicality.

Thanks for the tip. However, I have to confide that I already have a raspberry with octoprint that does its job very well with the ridiculous energy consumption with which I manage webcam and printer ignition relay, light and other amenities with the plugin with GPO. My request was to solve a contingent problem to continue the production activity by maintaining all the amenities created by replacing the RASPBERRY with a recovery PC.

Honestly, a Raspberry Pi Zero WH configured in serial gadget mode might make short work of this. Actually, as a network gadget it would be slightly easier perhaps.

Having set it up and connected a USB cable to it, it now presents itself to your host computer (and is powered by it as well. You should then be able to write a python-based service which forwards GPIO-related commands.

By the way, you're talking to a guy who owns at least ten Pi 3Bs, two 4Bs, eight Zeroes, a 3B+, a 3A+ and lots of Arduino varieties. In my mind the best fault tolerance here is another Pi, to be honest.

1 Like