Octoprint refuses to allow me to enter password

Hi,

Am trying to install Octoprint but on TFT and Putty user is ok but I can't get pass the password, on the computer screen it won't allow anything to happen, on the TFT it just reverts to octopi login after I try to enter my password.

This is driving me nuts.

octoprint-systeminfo-20210815054412.zip (16.0 KB)

Systeminfo Bundle

browser.user_agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
connectivity.connection_check: 1.1.1.1:53
connectivity.connection_ok: true
connectivity.enabled: true
connectivity.online: true
connectivity.resolution_check: octoprint.org
connectivity.resolution_ok: true
env.hardware.cores: 4
env.hardware.freq: 1500
env.hardware.ram: 3959984128
env.os.bits: 32
env.os.id: linux
env.os.platform: linux
env.plugins.pi_support.model: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2
env.plugins.pi_support.octopi_version: 0.18.0
env.plugins.pi_support.throttle_state: 0x0
env.python.pip: 20.3.3
env.python.version: 3.7.3
env.python.virtualenv: true
octoprint.safe_mode: false
octoprint.version: 1.6.1
printer.firmware: Marlin 2.0.6.1-BX (Mar 19 2021 10:07:33)
systeminfo.generator: systemapi

I am trying to use a Biqu BX but getting nowhere, and I am not experienced with problems like this.

There are 2 different user/password pairs that you have to use when installing and starting octoprint. One is the password you use for sshing into the pi, factory default is pi/raspberry. You get prompted to change the password when octopi runs but it's ok to leave it as it is until things run. A typical pitfall here is if you use a non-English keyboard (i.e. a German keyboard with Z and Y swapped).

The other one is your username and password when running OctoPrint. You get asked to set this when OctoPrint runs the first time (first time setup wizard).

Those two accounts are completly separate, one is a user account on the OS level, the other a user account of an application.

Thanks for answering, that's helpful but my main issue is I can't input...I can type in the username, but can't the password, nothing happens it's like the keyboard is not working.
On the TFT it just refers back to id almost immediately, on Putty it won't accept the password...or anything that I type. (other than the first id)

When you type in a password on a Linux based command line, there will be no keyboard response.

1 Like

Thanks but it accepts and displays my octopi login, then asks for my password but stops there:

• On the TFT, on trying to enter the password it reverts to asking me to log in.
  • On Putty it accepts login but refuses to allow me to enter anything...it acts as if I have not entered anything.

Which user are you attempting to log in as ? As @planetar mentionned, there are two different users, are you trying to log in as the OctoPrint user or the pi user ? I assume the TFT runs OctoPrint, so you should try to log in as the user you set up in OctoPrint.

As stated by @Ewald_Ikemann, Linux systems don't show anything when you type in password fields. No stars, no cursor, no nothing. It doesn't mean that anything you type isn't registered. So try to type the password and hit Enter. It should then show you either a prompt ([pi@octopi:~]$) if the login was successful, or tell you that the login wasn't successful and ask you to provide the user and password again.

OK, I used pi and raspberry and got a response on putty as per the screen shot attached...where to now?

As the lines on the screen are telling you, to see the OctoPrint interface, you should open your browser to the indicated URL : http://192.168.50.113/, where you'll be either asked for a username and a password, if you've already set it up, or the first login screen where you'll setup an user to access the OctoPrint interface

Sorry edited post with correct screen shot now, other one was from an earlier attempt on the TFT

Not working yet...screenshot here

Hum, this is the command line... Could you open a web browser (Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Safari...) and try to go to the address provided ? You should then be able to interact with OctoPrint's interface...

Thanks, I use Firefox and can now access Octoprint on desktop...now to try again on TFT.

the TFT looks like it's showing the Pi's screen, so you'd certainly have to install a desktop environment and then install a web browser, which you could default to the Pi's address, so that when you open the browser, you'd find the OctoPrint's interface.

The instruction to get a desktop interface are provided in the screenshot you took before, and should be printed on the TFT as well...