Octoprint stop printing during long print

What is the problem?

Octoprint stop printing. It was a long print over 24hrs. I don't use raspbian or raspberry pi. The octoprint instance is run from an Ubuntu VM and the printer (Ender 5) is being tunneled via PCI passthrough in proxmox. Runs great usually, but when I got home from work I noticed the print was paused and still up to temp. I logged into web GUI to find it still hot and reporting temps, but not printing and the common communication timeout errors.

What did you already try to solve it?

Hit pause button to try and resume with no dice. I SSHd into the ubuntu VM and ran screen on the device. It IS in fact still reporting temps to the PC.

Have you tried running in safe mode and if so did it solve the issue?

No

Complete Logs

octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab at a minimum, browser error console if UI issue ... no logs, no support! Not log excerpts, complete logs.)

Will upload when at PC.

Additional information about your setup

OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, browser, operating system, ... as much data as possible

Ubuntu 19.10 server
Latest OctoPrint
Ender 5 on SKR Mini E3

Hey Justin !

While looking for logs, you probably want to look ins ide Proxmox's logs. I don't know how your Ubuntu are ran (LXC or KVM ?), but there's a lot of process Proxmox will do in a backend that may pause the VM (or container in the case of LXC) that may break the Serial Line.

I suspect that because, you said that you screen'd your serial, which should be locked for Octoprint, as far as I know, so the screen should be impossible during the print. Maybe the Proxmox made a backup / move (do you run a cluster ? :)) that temporary halted the VM. It could even be that the underlying LVM (or CEPH) was halted for a snapshot.

You probably, first of all, want to get a clear view on when (timedate) exactly the print stopped.

K.

Hello,

Sorry I forgot to get logs after work. I have to do that tonight.

I don't cluster this machine nor do I have any snapshots setup for the VM. This is a KVM not an LXC and it's setup to pass through the port without interference. The issue doesn't happen on short prints, only long ones. I noticed in DMESG an error that said USB device disconnected but not sure why. I will be looking into logs further to get timestamps and such for communication error.

Thanks for your insight and I'll get more info asap. Id like to be able to trust the octoprint for days without worrying about failures.

1 Like

So... I have looked at the logs and I don't see anything important really.
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/kTZ5gXjHXx/

syslog & kernlog from proxmox host:
https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/NnSBQvxkWd/
That is the syslog, and you can tell it disconnects after 8pm, but I believe this is when I get home and find it frozen. The reconnecting of the USB device is me trying to get temperatures to turn off.

Oct 15 20:14:31 octoprint octoprint[963]: SerialException: device reports readiness to read but returned no data (device disconnected or multiple access on port?)
Oct 15 20:14:31 octoprint octoprint[963]: 2020-10-15 20:14:31,158 - octoprint.util.comm - ERROR - Please see https://faq.octoprint.org/serialerror for possible reasons of this.

Liek @foosel I think that's something in the underlying layers.

What does your system (syslog / kernlog / proxmox.log) says at approx 20:14 on Oct. 15th ? You logs only shows things from 16h42 and 22:24 but I would find it very strange that you have nothing between (at least yo should have cronjobs, for example – maybe you've stripped it before uploading the file ?)

Cheers,
K.