Octoprint stopping mid print: Timeout error

What is the problem?
My printer stops printing mid print. Octoprint will not respond Connection times out

What did you already try to solve it?
Replaced power cable, replaced usb cable, re -installed octoprint

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, octoprint.log, serial.log or output on terminal tab, ...)
OctoPrint Version 1.3.10
OctoPi Version 0.15.1
Stock CR-10S Firmware

??? Any logs to share???

I didnt have serial logging enabled at first. This came from the terminal.

Recv: ok
Send: M27
Communication timeout while printing, trying to trigger response from printer. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.
Communication timeout while printing, trying to trigger response from printer. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.
No response from printer after 11 consecutive communication timeouts, considering it dead. Configure long running commands or increase communication timeout if that happens regularly on specific commands or long moves.
Changing monitoring state from "Printing" to "Offline (Error: Too many consecutive

Unexpected error while connecting to serial port: /dev/ttyUSB0 IOError: '[Errno 5] Input/output error' @ comm.py:_openSerial:2478 (hook default)

1 Like

I think the serial.log and the octoprint.log a bit more informative.

I started another print and started serial logging, and deleted the old logs to try and get only the failed print. I'll update once it updates the logs.

This print hasn't failed yet. I have changed nothing except deleting the old log files. I have previously tried this print 4 times and it has failed in what seems to be random locations.

well wouldn't you know it....the moment i brag on it, it fails...

serial (3).log (21.4 KB)
octoprint (6).log (23.7 KB)

here are the logs, I had to cut the middle out of the serial log to get it to upload.

tried printing from sd card and same error...at least the print finished this time.
serial.log (894.3 KB)
octoprint.log (61.3 KB)

I saw a huge pile of scrambled data in the second serial.log.
How log is that USB cable and is is a double shielded quality?

You also may update your firmware.

I've tried the cable that was supplied with the printer, and I made a trip to Best buy to grab another cable to try. Both have the same issue. I have a gold plated ferrite core cable coming. Both are about 3' in length. I haven't looked into updating firmware yet. I've been worried about bricking my control box...even though it's probably easier than I'm thinking.