OctoPrint tells me that my printer's firmware lacks mandatory safety features, what does this mean?

As I mentioned before, according to the manufacturer, in version 1.1.2 they enabled all the feature version:

As a proof i personally checked:

I also checked in the source code, and personally the MINTEMP e MAXTEMP features, here:

And @foosel finally said:

By the way the newest version of the firmware (1.1.2) shows both, the latest and the previous one:

So I think all the safety warning are solved in this firmware version.

P.S. I now checked there is a new official version: 1.1.3, I will try to understand what is the changelog and tell you

@sciaio Looks like a bug. The code should detect that it's a version > 1.1.2 and not warn in that case, but this doesn't seem to work for some reason. I know it worked when I last tested it but either a real printer behaves slightly differently somewhere there or something broke between implementation and release of 1.3.11. Could you please open a bug report and make sure to include a serial.log (not a copy of the Terminal tab contents but an actual log file) so I can test this again?

edit Never mind, found it. It's.... a really stupid bug.

Thanks @foosel , really appreciate it. Hope that was helpful

I have an Offensive printer, the Monoprice Mini v.1. I pushed the MP firmware upgrade at it. I see in OP 1.3.11 there are non-offensive (temperature safe) plugins. I'm trying these.

@Charlie_Powell just saw elsewhere that you can confirm the Tronxy X8 to ship with thermal runaway protection disabled. Did OctoPrint already somehow detect this? If not I'd be interested in startup messages/M115 response to hopefully be able to identify it in the FirmwareCheck plugin and warn other owners.

I don't think it did warn me (since I wasn't aware until part of it melted), but then it was quite a long time ago that that happened - I remember flashing Marlin 1.1.9 on to a new motherboard they sent since I no longer trusted the firmware, I'm thinking maybe at least 2 years ago?

Either way, I'm not sure there is much I can do to help, since it now runs up to date Marlin (and actually isn't used anymore).

Ah, ok. In that case, added to the OP in a new section "known to be faulty but unidentified by the plugin"

1 Like

Hey just got my first Printer: Anycubic Mega Zero 2.0

Here's an observation:

Octoprint reported me "Critical Warning: Firmware Unsafe" with a link to this post.

Then octoprint showed me to update octoprint to the newest version. So I did update it.

After the update octoprint showed me the "Critical Warning: Firmware Unsafe" again.

Yet, after restarting the printer, octoprint did not find the printer anymore. When I restarted the RaspberryPi the octoprint programme did not show me the warning anymore (even though the programme did connect to the printer again).

1 Like

Hello,

i do have a Geeetech A10T with a GT2560 4.0 Board.
It is a Marlin 1.1.8 Firmware.
I use Octoprint 1.5.2 OctoPi Version 0.18.0, running on Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4 8GB.
I did send the M115 and this was returned in the Terminal:
Send: M115
Recv: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin 1.1.8 (Github) SOURCE_CODE_URL:https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Printer EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:cede2a2f-41a2-4748-9b12-c55c62f367ff
Recv: Cap:SERIAL_XON_XOFF:0
Recv: Cap:EEPROM:1
Recv: Cap:VOLUMETRIC:1
Recv: Cap:AUTOREPORT_TEMP:1
Recv: Cap:PROGRESS:0
Recv: Cap:PRINT_JOB:1
Recv: Cap:AUTOLEVEL:0
Recv: Cap:Z_PROBE:0
Recv: Cap:LEVELING_DATA:0
Recv: Cap:BUILD_PERCENT:0
Recv: Cap:SOFTWARE_POWER:0
Recv: Cap:TOGGLE_LIGHTS:1
Recv: Cap:CASE_LIGHT_BRIGHTNESS:1
Recv: Cap:EMERGENCY_PARSER:0
Recv: ok

Does that now mean this Printer does not have the safety features?

So far the Printer did not show any Issues about over heating or Powerspikes or anything. Just the regular nonsense not necessary caused by Vendor may i add. :see_no_evil:

I also have a Anycubic Mega Zero 2.0. But not yet a Octopi ready to collect the Information. Will do so in a couple of hours.

So the Anycubic Mega Zero returns this for M115:
Recv: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin V0.0.2 (Github) SOURCE_CODE_URL:https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Mega Zero EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:cede2a2f-41a2-4748-9b12-c55c62f367ff
Recv: Cap:TOGGLE_LIGHTS:0
Recv: Cap:CASE_LIGHT_BRIGHTNESS:0
Recv: Cap:AUTOREPORT_SD_STATUS:0
Recv: Cap:THERMAL_PROTECTION:0

I think the last Line gives a Hint. But when it comes to Firmware i have no clue. Is it possible to just change it to 1?
If i modify the Firmware, update or upgrade, would that allready help or does this say there is no physical Protection like a Safetyswitch?

Hello @Laurelinwen!

Maybe Thermal Runaway is missing...

1 Like

I think its Recv: Cap:THERMAL_PROTECTION:1

1 Like

update:
I reinstalled octoprint on my raspberry and updated it, as it showed up.
Now the warning is showing up again. But after reconnecting to the printer it does not show up anymore.

Only when turning off and on again the printer and the raspberry pi the message shows up again

Don't know, I will never let it print alone :'D

To fix the issue and make the warning go away you need different firmware on the printer. Reinstalling OctoPrint won't help the printer, you should try flashing your own firmware to the printer.

Thank you Ewald_Ikemann. I am trying something new, for me, at the Moment. I am trying to create a new Firmware, since there is no configuration.h only the .hex from the Printer Vendor. But i am allready at a Dead End, mostly because i dont have any Experience with Firmware creation/manipulation. I am trying to create a Marlin Firmware for both Printer individualy. The Geeetech A10T has a Motherboard installed which is not in the board.h/pins.h Files (a Atmega GT2560 V4). Compyling and uploading is not working. I understand what to do for the Thermal Runaway, what it means to uncomment the Lines but i guess i have to subscribe to Marlin School :smile:

It looks like there's a configuration example for the Geeetech A10T, under Marlin 2.0.7.2:

1 Like

I am still getting the Critical Warning: Firmware Unsafe message after updating my printer's firmware that specifically deals with this.

Updated Firmware on Voxelab Aquila to 1.2.4
Release Notes:

Update:

1. Add watch dog
  2. Fix temperature detection time
  3. Fix the thermal runaway issue
  4. Set English as the default language

Here is the output from the printer showing Thermal Protection Active:

Recv: FIRMWARE_NAME:Marlin 1.2.4 (Aug 26 2021 15:30:40) SOURCE_CODE_URL:GitHub - MarlinFirmware/Marlin: Marlin is an optimized firmware for RepRap 3D printers based on the Arduino platform. | Many commercial 3D printers come with Marlin installed. Check with your vendor if you need source code for your specific machine. PROTOCOL_VERSION:1.0 MACHINE_TYPE:Voxlab-1 V1 EXTRUDER_COUNT:1 UUID:cede2a2f-41a2-4748-9b12-c55c62f367ff
Recv: Cap:BINARY_FILE_TRANSFER:0
Recv: Cap:RUNOUT:0
Recv: Cap:TOGGLE_LIGHTS:0
Recv: Cap:CASE_LIGHT_BRIGHTNESS:0
Recv: Cap:PROMPT_SUPPORT:0
Recv: Cap:SDCARD:1
Recv: Cap:AUTOREPORT_SD_STATUS:0
Recv: Cap:LONG_FILENAME:0
Recv: Cap: THERMAL_PROTECTION:1
Recv: Cap:MOTION_MODES:0
Recv: Cap:ARCS:1
Recv: Cap:BABYSTEPPING:1
Recv: Cap:CHAMBER_TEMPERATURE:0
Send: M155 S2

Link to download:
https://enfss.voxelab3dp.com/10000/software/be633c554ebfa81ec9f11424f8ba28e8.rar

That is because while Voxelab have updated the firmware, they have STILL not gotten back to me with confirmation on all issues having been fixed and identifying information to distinguish their broken from their fixed builds, even though I asked for that in our email conversation a couple months ago now :woman_shrugging:

Got it. hopefully they respond soon.

Any update from Voxelab on the firmware message?

The last thing I heard from them was on October 18th 2021:

I have forwarded your comment to our product manager and engineers. Will get back to you as soon as I have any updates from them.

1 Like