Octoprint version unknown

Hi
My Ender 3 havent been used for quite a while and now I need again to work with 3D printing. My rasp do connect with network but no luck getting Octoprint to work. Simply get error when typing IP adress:
"OctoPrint server is currently not running"

Did login to rasp with Putty.

OctoPrint version : unknown
OctoPi version : 0.17.0

Ran the: ~~/oprint/bin/python --version
Result: -bash: ~~/oprint/bin/python: No such file or directory

The ran: ~/oprint/bin/pip install --force-reinstall --no-cache-dir octoprin t
Result:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/pi/oprint/bin/pip", line 6, in
from pip._internal.main import main
File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip/_internal/main.py" , line 8, in
import locale
File "/home/pi/oprint/lib/python2.7/locale.py", line 17, in
β–’uβ–’

File "/usr/lib/python2.7/functools.py", line 1
SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character '\xeb' in file /usr/lib/python2.7/functools.py on line 2, but no encoding declared; see PEP 263 – Defining Python Source Code Encodings | peps.python.org for details

Any ideas whats wrong. I like 3D printing but are not tough in Python and do run Windows / Apple app "OctoPod". OctoPod do actually still show picture.

Thank you very much in advance :slight_smile:

Since your install is still using Python 2, you should upgrade to use Python 3, as that is what the current version of OctoPrint requires (Check the guide out here). It doesn't solve your actual problem in getting OctoPrint running, but if you wanted to get back up to date you would have to upgrade anyway.

It might be easiest to re-flash the SD card with OctoPi 0.18 to get yourself back up & running as quick as possible. If you would rather get OctoPrint running, create a backup and then upgrade to Python 3, let me know and we can try and fix whatever problem you are having.

Yes I did consider a total new installattion might be best since others (some at least) had issues after the update.

1. For backup I guess is only concerning the already made prints stored on the OctoPrint?
  2. It could be great to keep them, since I did loose most of them due to a ruined harddrive. But if the task is quite hard for a quite novice in Python and one never touched Linux, then a reflash might be okay.

and thanks a lot for the fast reply...really appriciated!

Is it just to remove SD from Rasp, format it and follow this guide?

I'd suggest starting with a fresh micro SD card.

You might consider investing in a USB SD card reader/writer like this one which you can plug into your RPi or your desktop. I use one plugged into my RPi to clone the SD card occasionally so I have a backup.

Once you have that fresh SD card working with the latest OctoPi / OctoPrint, we can help you copy the files from the old card to the new one.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.