Octoprint wont send commands over usb

When I connect Octoprint, I believe it recognizes the printer as a serial interface but all the controls are greyed out. When I run dmesg I get:

[ 1068.322559] ch341 1-1.4:1.0: device disconnected
[ 1079.647973] usb 1-1.4: new full-speed USB device number 7 using xhci_hcd
[ 1079.784005] usb 1-1.4: New USB device found, idVendor=1a86, idProduct=7523, bcdDevice= 2.64
[ 1079.784021] usb 1-1.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 1079.784030] usb 1-1.4: Product: USB Serial
[ 1079.786661] ch341 1-1.4:1.0: ch341-uart converter detected
[ 1079.792162] usb 1-1.4: ch341-uart converter now attached to ttyUSB0

I can't get any reaction from the printer.
(See below) It is an Ender 5 pro, with the 4.2.7 mainboard, running default Marlin firmware. I'm pretty new to this, if you need any more info, I'm happy to share, thanks!

octoprint-systeminfo-20230415075622.zip (905.8 KB)

There is no connection at all.

Have you checked the USB cable for a proper one that can transfer data?

There are some USB connection issues - it recognises a port but gets no response from it.

You also have a severe connection issue with the server - OctoPrint's UI is struggling to maintain a connection to the server on the websocket. Try safe mode, and also a different browser/device. That might be why the connection status/error is not showing up properly in the UI.

Thanks for your quick responses. The cable will transfer data, as I can send commands and monitor from cura. I have tried safe mode, but no luck. My computer has a good connection to the PI (ping response in 4ms) I just got the new control board, so I thought it might be a firmware issue, but I have confirmed it isn't.

Also, the UI will give the connection error when I unplug the cable and the Port will show AUTO again. If that's helpful.

Seems unlikely but do you have Cura and OctoPrint on the same system? When I am developing and I have Cura up it will cause a similar issue with devices that I connect to. It will more or less steal the serial port but for some reason other apps on the same system can get connected to those peripherals but never really are able to talk to it. If you do have them both running on the same system, try shutting down Cura. See if that helps.

Thanks, @jcassel but no, I was just trying to see if the cable could transfer data. Octoprint is running on a Pi4 b+

Check you have not set up a global API aim your slicer, Octoprint had an issue in a recent update and it took me a while to figure out. Delete the API if it’s global and generate an API for the indicidual slicer program you’re using.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.