Octoprint won't start, log file empty

The problem:
During some plugin updates, OctoPrint got stuck in the 'updating' window (in the GUI).
After waiting for a long time (>1h), I've decided to reboot it, by giving the command 'Sudo reboot now' over SSH. The reboot began immediately.

Unfortunately, OctoPrint won't start now, giving the well-known info-page (when going to the GUI) saying:

The OctoPrint server is currently not running
If you just started up your Raspberry Pi, please wait a....... etc.

SSH is still possible by the way.

What I've tried already:
Now, I've tried looking in the logs, but didn't seem to find any usefull information.
As of the comments over here tell, I also 'deleted' the log and did a reboot, so it would come up with a nice and fresh log file, pointing out the issues. Too good to be true, this didn't happen, no log file is created whatsoever it seems. See:

pi@octopi:~ $ more ~/.octoprint/logs/octoprint.log
more: stat of /home/pi/.octoprint/logs/octoprint.log failed: No such file or dir ectory

Luckily I've saved the 'old' log file, you can find it below.
https://pastebin.com/eavnaZsY

I'd like to have it back up and running, preferably with keeping all my plugins in place.
If there's any way to re-install OctoPrint without loosing my plugins, that also seems like a good option to me, but I'm not yet aware of a way to achieve this.

Thanks for all your help in advance!

Extra info:
Octoprint is running on Pi 3b (+?)

First I would try if it starts in safemode :slight_smile:

Thanks! Immediately tried it, this is what the SSH session tells us:

pi@octopi:~ $ ~/oprint/bin/octoprint safemode
ERROR:octoprint.settings:Could not write test file to /home/pi/.octoprint/logs
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/settings.py", line 1850, in _va                                                                                                      lidate_folder
    f.write("test")
IOError: [Errno 28] No space left on device
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/pi/oprint/bin/octoprint", line 11, in <module>
    load_entry_point('OctoPrint==1.3.11', 'console_scripts', 'octoprint')()
  File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/__init__.py", line 609, in main
    octo(args=args, prog_name="octoprint", auto_envvar_prefix="OCTOPRINT")
  File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 764, in __call__
    return self.main(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 717, in main
    rv = self.invoke(ctx)
  File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1137, in invoke
    return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
  File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 956, in invoke
    return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
  File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/core.py", line 555, in invoke
    return callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/click/decorators.py", line 17, in new_fun                                                                                                      c
    return f(get_current_context(), *args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/cli/server.py", line 165, in en                                                                                                      able_safemode
    settings = init_settings(get_ctx_obj_option(ctx, "basedir", None), get_ctx_obj_option(ctx, "con                                                                                                      figfile", None))
  File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/__init__.py", line 171, in init                                                                                                      _settings
    return settings(init=True, basedir=basedir, configfile=configfile)
  File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/settings.py", line 81, in setti                                                                                                      ngs
    _instance = Settings(configfile=configfile, basedir=basedir)
  File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/settings.py", line 645, in __in                                                                                                      it__
    self.sanity_check_folders(folders=["logs", ])
  File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/settings.py", line 665, in sani                                                                                                      ty_check_folders
    self.getBaseFolder(folder, check_writable=True, deep_check_writable=True, log_error=True)
  File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/settings.py", line 1569, in get                                                                                                      BaseFolder
    _validate_folder(folder, create=create, check_writable=check_writable, deep_check_writable=deep                                                                                                      _check_writable, log_error=log_error)
  File "/home/pi/oprint/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/octoprint/settings.py", line 1855, in _va                                                                                                      lidate_folder
    raise IOError(error)
IOError: Folder at /home/pi/.octoprint/logs doesn't appear to be writable, please fix its permissio                                                                                                      ns
pi@octopi:~ $

Is it possible that your sd card is full?
Try df -h

1 Like

I think you're right!
I suspect the problems with creating the timelapses to have eaten the storagespace. Is there any way to confirm and repair this?

pi@octopi:~ $ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       7.1G  6.8G     0 100% /
devtmpfs        434M     0  434M   0% /dev
tmpfs           438M     0  438M   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           438M   12M  427M   3% /run
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           438M     0  438M   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/mmcblk0p1   44M   23M   22M  51% /boot
tmpfs            88M     0   88M   0% /run/user/1000

Additional information:

pi@octopi:~ $ sudo du -xh / | grep -P "G\t"
1.8G    /home/pi/.octoprint/timelapse/tmp
4.0G    /home/pi/.octoprint/timelapse
5.0G    /home/pi/.octoprint
5.2G    /home/pi
5.2G    /home
6.8G    /

Well I think 0 available space is pretty confirmatory :smiley:

I would suggest you move the timelapse videos to your pc and delete the old timelapse temp images (I guess it run out of space during the last tamelapse) :slight_smile:

If you're on windows one easy way would be to use WinSCP :slight_smile:

Don't forget to restart the pi after you have free space again :wink:

If the partition ran out of space, it's a good idea to also do an fsck on it to clean it up.

2 Likes