OctoScreen - a new software to use OctoPrint with LCD

Ah OK will test it as soon as I come home! Thanks :+1:

That looks like an IKEA Lack (if I know my Swedish-designed furniture and I do). I might suggest something similar to my own setup, these multiple-monitor stands can be easily converted to hold multiple spools of filament. Another example The trick is to find one on Craig's List and buy it on the cheap.

Well spotted. I've only just started so am still building, and it's still messy. Will look into it.

2 Likes

Well I tested everything from the above and nothing worked for me.

So for everyone with the same problem, this is what I did after (a lot!) of research that worked.
It is going to be a little bit longer, but this should work for almost every TFT for raspberry.

After you installed everything for your LCD and octosreen:

Configure Octoscreen:

sudo nano /etc/octoscreen/config

OCTOSCREEN_RESOLUTION=800x533

Install fbcp to "clone" the HDMI output:

sudo apt-get -y install cmake && git clone https://github.com/tasanakorn/rpi-fbcp && cd rpi-fbcp && mkdir build && cd build && cmake .. && make && sudo install fbcp /usr/local/bin/fbcp

Make fbcp start on every boot:

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

-> Then, go at the end of file (but before the exit 0 ) and add a line where to find fbcp :

/usr/local/bin/fbcp &

Activate and setup HDMI:

sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf

-> set "fb1 to "fb0

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

disable_overscan=1
framebuffer_width=800
framebuffer_height=533
dtparam=spi=on
hdmi_cvt 800 533 60 6 0 0 0

Eliminate flickering of LCD:

sudo nano /boot/cmdline.txt

-> remove: "fbcon=map:10"

Additionally: Don't forget to callibrate yor touchscreen:

sudo apt-get install -y xinput-calibrator

sudo DISPLAY=:0.0 xinput_calibrator

Copy your results in this file:

-> etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf

I hope this helps someone... :+1:

6 Likes

Yes the fbcp is installed by default by the Adafruit installer. It might not be installed by software for other displays, I didn't realise that. It's going to be slightly different for different brands anyway.

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask how octoscreen is installed. I'm trying in every way but nothing, black screen.
I have a Kuman 3.5 display and raspberry pi3B +, thanks

There is a github link in the first post...

done, I managed to install it and see correctly on the LCD but I have to install it again and I can't do it anymore. there is no tutorial?

I have problem with installation.
Im using Raspberry 3b+ and Raspberry 7" touchscreen display.
Try installation guide from github for .deb installation but without success.

When I get to this step: sudo dpkg -i octoscreen_2.3-5_armhf.deb
It respond with this: Failed to preset unit:
File /etc/systemd/system/display-manager.service already exists and is a symlink to /lib/systemd/system/lightdm.service.
/usr/bin/deb-systemd-helper:
error: systemctl preset failed on octoscreen.service: No such file or directory

And this is end of the way for me, please can someone help me with this instalation.
Thank you in advance.

I'm just guessing and haven't tried octoscreen yet but is the raspbian desktop or something similar already installed?

Hi folks!
I managed to install octoscreen on original 7 inch LCD and works fine UNTIL i open network tab - then resolution extends a bit on the right side. It's all fine until i open network tab, after that resolution on all tabs is somewhat wider, like something is changing resolution from correct 800x480 to around 800x500, so a small part of screen on the right side can't be shown, of course...

Any clues? My resolution is set to 800x480, same as original 7 inch LCD.

Thanks!

You might want to open up an issue to the plugin author's repository.

OK, i guess i'll just do that. Many thanks!
I also found out that "unload" doesn't work on my Prusa, while "load" does work. Since i have autoload i would like exactly reversed...

I had this same issue. I used "sudo dpkg -r --force-depends lightdm" then installed the octoscreen deb file. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Anyone know if its possible to take screenshots of the ui?

If it has the x windows system running then I'm guessing that VNC would then work as well. (You'd install that from sudo raspi-config for what it's worth.)

Then, from a remote session from your workstation, you could do a standard screencapture to get the content.

On macOS, though, you need to tweak the VNC server configuration so that it's backward-compatible on the authentication.

Rob, doesn't work for me, system says i don't have lightdm installed.

And you saw this, right?

Yes, i tried that command and i get a reply like " ignoring command to remove lightdm since its not installed".

You might want to create an issue on the plugin author's repository to let them know.