Pi zero 2 w & Ender 3v2

What is the problem?
Is it possible to power the raspberry pi zero 2w directly form the micro USB port on the ender 3 v2?
For the Pi 3 and 4, I saw that it was powered from the mainboard directly. I'm not that confident with soldering yet zo asking about this specific config.

Additional information about your setup (OctoPrint version, OctoPi version, printer, firmware, what kind of hardware precisely, ...)
-Ender 3 v2 without upgrades
-Octoprint installed on pi zero 2, not yet into klipper. Should I?

No, the USB port on the printer won't give it enough power to run.

oh well, that is sad :confused:

Depending on the version of your main board - you probably have 5V+ and GND pins that can power the raspberry pi zero, 2, 3, 4. etc. You don't need to solder necessarily if you have female<->female dupont wires, such as these: Amazon.com

But I would use a little bit of hot glue to ensure they don't just fall off the pins.

This is really not recommended.

• Often the 5V regulators on the printer boards can not handle the additional (up to) 3A that are required by the Pi.
  • When turning off the printer and so the Pi, there is a risk of corrupting the file system on the SD card of the Pi.

It is always recommended to power the Pi by it's own power supply

They were asking how to draw power from the printer to the pi, so the second bullet point seems moot as either way is going to cut power to the pi and potentially damage the storage if there is an active write when the printer is shut down. Where did you find the specs on the board not drawing 3 amps through those pins?

The Creality V4 boards usually found in an Ender 3 don't even have any spare 5v/GND pin headers that you could have the specs for.

The point is based on a generalisation - most 3D printer control boards do not have pins capable of outputting 5V/3A on them.

1 Like

I find separate power for the printer and RPi to be very useful. I turn the printer off when its not being used but I leave the RPi running most of the time. The RPi uses very little power and I can install OctoPrint and plugin updates without turning on the printer.

The printer is plugged into a smart plug so I can power it on and off remotely using an RPi plugin.

1 Like