pi3B can't be connected

What is the problem?

I have had success connecting my pi4b but I flashed a new octopi to my pi3b and I can't connect with octopi.local. I can ping the address. I get the error "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" .

What did you already try to solve it?

Ping to confirm that it exists.
created a new sd card
connecting to ip address directly

Have you tried running in safe mode?

don't know how to do this

Additional information about your setup

pi 3b, google mesh wifi, ender 3 s1 printer, octopi 0.18.0 with octoprint 1.7.3

Octopi.local isn't guaranteed to work. It is up to the router to do the DNS resolution. If you can pull up the web interface via the IP address then octopi/octoprint isn't the issue

Loath as I am to suggest a piece of Apple software, Bonjour may well do the trick.

If the RPi 4B and the RPi 3B both have the hostname octopi then even if only one of them is present the other one may have history in the router or other systems that is confusing your network.

If there's only going to be one octopi, reboot the router and any systems that might have been around. If both are going to be present, change the name on one of them (you can use the file /boot/octopi-hostname.txt). You may still have to reboot everything.

Thank you, I was wondering about having more than one pi with the same name, even if they both weren't on at the same time. I will look at the file you suggest and give it a try.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how I make out.
(I wanted to dedicate the 3b to Octopi)

Thank you.

Another thing I don't quite understand. When I decided to put my 3b to work as a dedicated Octopi printer controller I simply put the card from my 4b into the 3b and it didn't work. I didn't think that the software was computer specific. That is when I decided to try a new clean install on the 3b. neither worked on the 3b.

Its not a software problem, I'm running OctoPi on an RPi 3B without issue. Started with OctoPi 0.15.0 and currently running OctoPi 0.18.0 (with OctoPrint 1.7.3).

The only computer specific attribute is that newer Raspberry Pi systems may require newer versions of OctoPi but older Raspberry Pi systems will run on that newer version of OctoPi without issue.

Got it to open when connected by Ethernet cable.
Still no wifi.
None of the wifi troubleshooting guides on the forum have worked to date.
Still trying, still working on it.

I have come to the conclusion that wifi is broken on my Pi3b.
Thank you everyone for your help.